Deck support

BigI

Reaction score
I removed the deck panel over the gas tank to clean and re-seal it. I noticed that the lip of the deck between the helm seats flexed a little. The screws that go through the lip and into the wood support on the fuel tank are not fixed to the lip. The others appear to be. I'm not sure how the screw heads are made to hold the fiberglass. Can anyone help me understand the construction?

Thanks,
Sal
================================
1987 Overnighter 206G
1987 Yamaha

richie rich

Reaction score
its just an 1/8 inch glass lip.....the screws go through it....some may hit the tapered wooded chocks holding the tank....some may hit the top of the stringer...which is dumb as water gets in their....and some hit nothing....IMO, with sealant on/in between the cover and deck....you may not need much help from the screws at all..

BigI

Reaction score
Thank you for replying!

I called GW support. They said the screws put downward pressure on the lip. I thought they held the lip up. All I had to do was tighten them a few turns.

I called GW on several occasions and they've been very helpful. Not even a trace of "I don't have time for you". Even discussing my old boat. I'm very impressed.