Deka 27m6 clones?

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I will be changing out the batteries on my 255 Freedom with a single F300 next spring. I bought the boat used it had Interstate SRM 27's in it and I got 5 seasons out of them. I am looking to replace the Interstates with Deka 27m6 batteries but cannot seem to find them locally. I am in the Hartford, CT area. Is there a re-branded clone of the exact same East Penn battery out there? Thanks.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just curious? Why go away from Interstate if you got 5 seasons out of them. 5 seasons is great for a marine battery.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Just curious? Why go away from Interstate if you got 5 seasons out of them. 5 seasons is great for a marine battery.
Although I had absolutely no issues with the Interstates, the specs for the SRM27's fall a bit shy of Yamaha's battery recommendation for the F300. I can get the Interstates at my local Costco for $80 or 90 bucks but not sure if I should stick with them. Maybe I am overthinking this...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ah, ok. Wasn't aware that the F300 had different requirements for batteries. I'm familiar with the F225 and F250's as I've had both and the Interstates have served me well. I also would be looking at different options in batteries in order to meet the Yamaha recommendations for the F300. Cary on!!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
West Marine's Group 27 1050MCA Starting Battery is the Deka 27m6. It's not a clone, just a re-branded Deka. You can find them on sale occasionally.

It's hard to find other Group 27's that will meet the Yamaha specs. The 27m6 was designed specifically for that purpose. They are actually dual purpose batteries (hence the high reserve capacity) and are designed to be practically maintenance-free. You rarely have to add water to them. Their lead plate construction is also particularly robust.

Yamaha specs the high reserve capacity since the big engines draw more current at low rpm than can be produced by the alternator. They draw off the battery under those conditions. That's why they won't continue to run with a disconnected or dead battery. This is really only an issue if you do a lot of trolling with electronics running. Think of people who cruise around at idle speeds with powerful speakers blasting. For most purposes, any marine starting battery with sufficient MCA will be OK. Once the engine is running at 1500 rpm or so, the alternator will keep the battery charged.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
West Marine's Group 27 1050MCA Starting Battery is the Deka 27m6. It's not a clone, just a re-branded Deka. You can find them on sale occasionally.

It's hard to find other Group 27's that will meet the Yamaha specs. The 27m6 was designed specifically for that purpose. They are actually dual purpose batteries (hence the high reserve capacity) and are designed to be practically maintenance-free. You rarely have to add water to them. Their lead plate construction is also particularly robust.

Yamaha specs the high reserve capacity since the big engines draw more current at low rpm than can be produced by the alternator. They draw off the battery under those conditions. That's why they won't continue to run with a disconnected or dead battery. This is really only an issue if you do a lot of trolling with electronics running. Think of people who cruise around at idle speeds with powerful speakers blasting. For most purposes, any marine starting battery with sufficient MCA will be OK. Once the engine is running at 1500 rpm or so, the alternator will keep the battery charged.

Thanks for the heads up. WM offers both the starting and the dual purpose in the 27 size. I will keep an eye out for the WM sale and jump on it.

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
BTW, here is your closest East Penn dealer:

East Penn
24 Appian Way
Smithfield, RI 2917
Phone: 401-233-0330
Fax: 401-233-2235
epmsmithfield@dekabatteries.com

I've gotten better deals directly from East Penn than other places. I paid $140 each for a pair or 27m6's last year.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was looking for the group 24’s to compliment my brand new 2020 F250XB brought home yesterday and got all confused. Thanks Alabama!
11B7E87D-AFAA-4D42-BF1E-10F85CAA333D.jpeg

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sweet motor LT! I look forward to hanging a F250XCA on mine in the future.

Greyduk

Reaction score
I was looking for the group 24’s to compliment my brand new 2020 F250XB brought home yesterday and got all confused. Thanks Alabama!
View attachment 9562
Sho Nuf!! Like seeing pictures of your GW 226. I just bought one about 3 weeks ago so at this stage I can't see to many of them to help generate ideas to improve mine.GW Bay.jpg

Reactions: Lite Tackle

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry to sidetrack thread
It looks like the DC31DT is the only Deka battery I see that meets the 100, 110AH requirement without putting batteries in parallel.