Dekit or SeaDeck

Onebigirish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Need some assistance...looking for templare for 1998 272 sailfish for dekit or seadeck....hoping someone might have it.

Regards
Jim

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I tried this route, they refused and insisted on coming out to measure. They said if I wanted it I'd have to absolve them of any issues. Cost 3K to do the whole thing, pre-covid. I used Aquatraction.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I tried this route, they refused and insisted on coming out to measure. They said if I wanted it I'd have to absolve them of any issues. Cost 3K to do the whole thing, pre-covid. I used Aquatraction.
I wouldn't use anyone for this kind of work who would agree to make the pieces WITHOUT coming out to the boat first, regardless of whether or not they had my boat on file. I had seadek installed on mine last fall and they had my model boat on file on their installer website. They printed templates from those files and when they took them to MY particular boat, changes had to be made. Pedestal for my helm chair was just a little off- and many more small differences that would have resulted in an ill-fitting product. They told me that no 2 boats are exactly the same, even same year/same model.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You NEED to make a template for yourself. All "templates" they have are from a boat owner. It's very common for it to not be correct. Do it the right way and order the company's templating material and make your own. Or order the template if they have it and then make your alterations directly on it.

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Using a template from another boat (same model) is a mistake. There are noticeable differences in deck plate seams, pedestal mounts, and just about everywhere. The beauty of Seadek, FlexDek, Dekit, etc… is that you get a fitted, custom look. They map your deck with lasers and make precise measurements. If Custom deck covering is what you want, I say let the pros do it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not a fan of this stuff. Will look great but It will leave a residue player if/when you remove. Add in templating and cost and it’s a non starter for outside decking. I’d go with something hat I could lay on top.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with Fishtales that I'm not a big fan of the mats, although if I did go with some sort of EVA foam mat product it would probably be something like Marine Mat or another company that uses snaps/mild adhesive instead of just a basically permanent glue or adhesive. I watched this YouTube video over the winter about how a couple was trying to take up their old SeaDek and they ended up paying the neighbor kid to pressure wash and get the old stuff up, including all the residue, which ended up taking like 14 hours per boat... x2 boats. It looks like it was a complete PITA, but with the Marine Mat or another product that has the snaps, you can pretty easily replace a section or the entire thing and not leave residue all over the place. I'm sure SeaDek probably has their version of the snaps or a "semi-removable" product, but I think they're probably also the most expensive option out there as well. There's dozens of options out there, good luck with your research!