Deluxe Sliding Helm Seat

jweschler

Reaction score
Hello All, I was out this past weekend and my sliding helm chair keeps moving back when I hit a wave. I can re-adjust it, but it still moves back. I would like to know what of if anything I can replace or fix to this seat other than replacing it with a new one.

See Image Below:

WiseChair.gif

Thanks, Joe W.

seabob4

Reaction score
Joe,
The "thumb-screw (knob)" keeps it from rotating. The ratcheting lever is your fore/aft adjustment. Are you saying the lever is not engaging?

jweschler

Reaction score
It engages, but it does not stay when I hit waves and the boat bounces. It's like the spring tension is weak but the company said the spring just keeps it up in place. It's like the teeth and bar are not catching well, so I might need to replace the bar and the plastic teeth, or something else?

thanks for the feed back.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track. That springs holds the rod engaged to the teeth. I'd experiment with ways to keep that rod from moving while under way. Also, take a look at the part that engages the teeth. Perhaps it has become tapered from the slipping.

Good luck.
Gary 93 Gulfstream

Pete1313

Reaction score
I think its the spring, as long as the teeth are not worn down. That spring holds the locking mechanism in place, unless there is constant pressure between the seat teeth and the lever. When youre' bouncing, pressure is lost on the teeth-to-lever contadt and that spring is the only thing keeping that in there. If its old and worn, out pops the lever, and you go flying backwards.....

My .02...

jweschler

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that responded, I will look at it very closely this weekend you gave me different ways of trying to fix it. Thanks again!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And make sure the lever goes all the way in. The nut may be too tight or loose, you can take it apart and grease it all. The spring may have to be rotated to lock it in, has a hook at the end.

Those teeth are metal, not plastic.

Even if the lever sits on top of a tooth, it will only go one incremental tooth no matter what.

Waves have nothing to do with it.

marlin_maniac

Reaction score
Hey Joe,

Does the seat seam to rock up and down if you lift on it from front or back?

I had the problem of my seat doing the same thing and found that the gibs (nylon/plastic slides between the base and top plate) had worn. This allowed for the seat to rock back and the catch would come out and back I would slide. You can order these parts but it's hard to find some one who will do it for you. :( After a month of fruitless tries I took some star board and machine a set myself...now no more unexpected sliding. :dance

striped bass

Reaction score
Had the same problem. After several attempts to fix it myself, I took it in to my Grady White dealership and they fixed it ASAP for very little money. I have been very happy ever since.

jweschler

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input I am going to go the slide way it's the cheapest and GW said the Seat Spider Fore or Underseat HW 34-558 or 30-027 for $70.00 and the HW slides or Slide Guides 6" are Pn# 30-214 are under $10.

Thanks,
Joe W.