Deposit on Canyon

Marbles816

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just put a deposit on a Canyon. It doesn't have a trailer so I'm in the hunt for one. With that said, the boat has been at the marina since September and now we're in the middle of January. I told the rep that I'm going to take the ride from NJ down to NC this weekend to seal the deal. So I've been talking with many trailer companies in the last 48 hours trying to find a trailer. I mentioned this to the rep (and he is aware of the delivery situation with trailers) and he wants to charge me for storage until I can get one. We're looking anywhere from 2-5 months. I'm not sure if this is right. I said to him that the boat has been sitting there for several months and the present owner must have paid for the storage. His response was that the owner didn't pay for storage b/c he decided to sell the boat and they brokered it for him. So I guess I'm looking for opinions if he should be charging me? I've never been in this situation before. I have spoken to friends who work in marinas in my area and they said since the boat has been there that long already for the present owner, they shouldn't be charging you. Especially the point that they know trailers are difficult to come by and they know you do not live around the corner. TIA for your responses.

Sailfish

Reaction score
My opinion, based on nothing but common sense, is that a broker who sells a boat that he is already storing to someone in NJ in January should show some flexibility in storing the boat. It is not as if you are asking him to find room for a boat that is off premise.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I suppose the business owner can charge for that. Say you buy the boat and can't find a trailer and your boat is now taking up a slot in his dry stack ,that's a slot he can use to make revenue . Now is it just in the yard on stands? Seems to me if it is that scenario he can cut you some slack, at the very least discount his rate.

Are you keeping her at a marina either in the water or dry stacked? I ask because you could always find a weather window and take a couple days and just run the ICW back to the home port.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
IMO...
Marinas make their living storing boats that they don't own.
Storing a boat has a cost to them. They are a business.

They got a brokers fee to sell a boat. They may have stored it for the seller for free while it sold because they had a long business relationship with him. Maybe he bought it from them and they serviced it. Maybe he docked there for years.
They have no ongoing relationship with you and they won't in the future because you are out of state.

Storage for a few months is probably cheaper than paying for a haul to NJ and blocking it in your driveway.

Marbles816

Reaction score
Are you keeping her at a marina either in the water or dry stacked? I ask because you could always find a weather window and take a couple days and just run the ICW back to the home port.

Thanks for your opinion. I keep the boat on my property (driveway) up here in the winter months because we get ice. Right now I have ice in my lagoons (some areas call them canals) and it's not worth getting a de-ice machine. I've had friends come home from work and found issues from situations from that and so I'm not interested in having that problem. Plus that ICW ride would be closer to 600 miles and especially this time of year, I wouldn't care for that. Thanks again.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I made storage for up to six months a part of the negotiations when I bought a boat, waiting for a lift to be installed. If they are brokering the boat, they have skin in the game. Storage doesn't cost them anything really, unless they are oversold.

G2man

Reaction score
I just sold my boat and the person who bought it got his trailer from Anthony’s trailers in Manahawkin it took about three weeks

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think he can charge you if he wants. Once you buy it, you own it. Why not have a hauler bring it to a location near you? You are going to have to go get it anyway at some point. Might as well put it in your yard or store locally.

eppem

Reaction score
I know you are in NJ but try Diamond Marine is East Haven, CT, ask for Karl and tell him I told you to call. They sell a ton of trailers and were able to source one quickly for the guy that bought my 265. Good luck!

Marbles816

Reaction score
I think he can charge you if he wants. Once you buy it, you own it. Why not have a hauler bring it to a location near you? You are going to have to go get it anyway at some point. Might as well put it in your yard or store locally.
Well. I officially didn't purchase it yet ( I only gave him a refundable deposit to them) and it would cost me a minimum of $1700 to have it hauled. I would rather put that towards the trailer I'm purchasing and then will be picking it up myself and storing it in my yard.

Marbles816

Reaction score
I know you are in NJ but try Diamond Marine is East Haven, CT, ask for Karl and tell him I told you to call. They sell a ton of trailers and were able to source one quickly for the guy that bought my 265. Good luck!
Thanks for the information.

paydaze77

Reaction score
id ask whats more important moving the boat or getting paid his commission to sell it.. i think its a dirty move in my opinion..

Fishtales

Reaction score
Well. I officially didn't purchase it yet ( I only gave him a refundable deposit to them) and it would cost me a minimum of $1700 to have it hauled. I would rather put that towards the trailer I'm purchasing and then will be picking it up myself and storing it in my yard.
Sounds like the best move if you can locate a trailer. If not, you may have to either haul it or just pay the storage. I know it's more money, that being said buying the boat is easy, it's the maintenance that is hard.

Fishtales

Reaction score
id ask whats more important moving the boat or getting paid his commission to sell it.. i think its a dirty move in my opinion..

The leverage is mostly on the supply side today unfortunately. If you find a boat and manage to get a deal that you believe is satisfactory it may be necessary to pay for either storage or hauling, it is your boat at that point. The marina knows this is going to be a transaction - not a relationship. In a transaction, both sides try to extract what they can from the deal. If a relationship (in this case - you are going to keep storing your boat there and consuming services in the future), I think it is very fair to ask and expect the marina to store it. They've likely been paid by the original owner for this anyway.

I've owned boats for 22 years. My advice is to ask the question (transaction or relationship?) and expect to pay when it is a transaction. Expect that even in a relationship, this business tilts toward the marina/dealer often and you either suck it up or you find another place and the game starts anew. Boating is hot right now, all marinas have lists - they can dump and replace you quickly, pay your bills promptly and in full - I can't stress this enough as it separates you from a lot of others in their eyes, they will do extras for you if you are a good customer. Just sayin...

Marbles816

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for all your responses. I read through them and came up with a resolution that the dealer and I agreed on. One thing I did learn is to make sure you have EVERYTHING in writing, that is what helped me out with my situation. So my wife and I are moving forward with this sale. And so now we are continuing to be Grady owners!
Thanks again!!
BTW ... Our dog that is turning 2 years old is named GRADY!. He's a yellow lab .

seasick

Reaction score
Congrats and good luck, Grady
Same to your parents:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Great news that you could find a win-win solution. Good luck with the boat and dog. Mine is 20 months old a lab, english setter mix. Loves the boat, swimming, moving around the walkaround, cockpit and helm and generally being the 4 legged captain (in her own mind).