depth finder intermittent malfunction - SOLVED!

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
Here goes: Grady White 209 - 2006.

Have a GARMIN 3210, with a P319 thru-hull sensor, attached to a Garmin GSD 21 sounder module.
Depth reading is intermittent; when I start off in shallow water, reads "0"; used to read correct depth, even were it to be 1.5'

As I move out and get up on plane, may kick in; often, not. Tried rebooting several times, no avail. When it does kick in, may "lock" on a reading, and just stay there, having nothing to do with real depth.

Boat is in the water all the time, cannot easily get to look at sensor.

On low tide, at mooring, boat can be "beached", temporarily; freed up on higher tide. Is this possibly the cause of my problem?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
Thx in advance.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Re: depth finder intermittent malfunction

Check your power and ground connections to the unit. It may just be as simple as cleaning the connections. I had a similar situation with my Raymarine unit, took me a while to figure it out because of course I assumed it was something much more complicated.
Good luck
Nick

seasick

Reaction score

I agree, check connections first. Then you need to look at the transducers bottom surface and check for growth or barnacles.

bc282

Reaction score

ditto on the line of poor connection.
let us know what you find.

Barrettkatz

Reaction score

depth finder update:

I have checked connections from garmin devices, and to power sources - proximally, anyway - and all seems well. Have "dived" under boat to find sensor, and feel around it, and though not any real inspection possible as boat is in water, all seems well.

Problem persists. Another comment was to take the sonar setting off of "auto", and I will try this, but not fix yet.
Any further thoughts appreciated.

Thx
B

bc282

Reaction score

electrical related problems are usually difficult to figure out.
1. is the Garmin wired (power) to a panel or fuse bus that is fed from a battery?
2. if so, any of the other devices sharing the bus having similar issues?
3. if on fuse bus, have you replaced the fuse? Replace regardless of how it looks with new one. I've had this before. quick $1 fix.
4. try narrowing the problem down >>> either run another fuse protected power wires for Garmin direct from boat battery or use a smaller 12V battery like a cheap 12V "black brick" sealed lead acid and a short new fused power wire run to the Garmin. If this does not solve or narrow down the problem, then it is likely a problem NOT of boat electrical BUT either Garmin head unit or Garmin cables.
5. perhaps use a meter's continuity test to test the Garmin cable(s) to verify good continuity (wiggle or move the wire while testing) or disconnect the power cable from the Garmin, leave 12v power running in cable and test for voltage while wiggle/moving wire and make sure voltage stays constant and present.

good luck.

Barrettkatz

Reaction score

I am still working on all your good suggestions, but not fix yet.
Yesterday, noticed my speedometer intermittently on the blink.
Still searching.
Thx
B

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

You may have done this but be sure to actually disconnect the connection and check for corrosion. It might look good from the outside but sometimes you just can't tell. Good luck, I know it gets frustrating.
Nick

Barrettkatz

Reaction score

Folks
I apologize in advance for this, but need a little more detail.
I can access the back of the garmin 3210 and I can access the garmin 30 unit itself, and have pulled all the connections and they look clean and right. In fact, all this is only two years old. I have not traced these back to where they are connected to any bus or the battery itself - not sure how to trace these back further - can someone put me out or my misery?

I also tried something else - remember, boat is in the water. Took a garden hose with nozzle, dove under the boat, found the sensor, and tried directing water flow to/around/at the sensor, as some have suggested that perhaps there was mud/sand/dirt within it. Did this several times - without the benefit of scuba, but alas, problem not yet solved.

More advice and thoughts needed.

Thx again for all of it.

B

Seahunter

Reaction score

What you describe is typically a transducer on the way out.

What your are experiencing, freezing, erratic depth detections, etc. is a problem with the transducer ior the connection between the head and the transducer. If the connector on the back of the unit is the problem, it’s usually pretty obvious. The fact that it’s an intermediate problem would lead me to believe you have a transducer problem.

The 319 has a plastic housing. If you’re beaching this boat on a regular basis, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit that you have somehow damaged the seal allowing moisture to get in. I would barrow a transducer from someone and see if that’s not your problem. Suggest you go with the brass or stainless housing next time if indeed the transducer is the problem

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

I had issues with inhull AirMAR ducer this spring and the exact same problems you described lead me to open up the bilge and examine the ducer. Mine being an in hull had a leak and the transducer would be periodically exposed to air and not read the bottom. But the symptoms are the same...the transducer. Perhaps it is time you pop the hatch to the bilge where the transducer is installed and do some inspecting there.

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
Here is the answer -
followed all the great and cogent suggestions of the GW group, and found no fix. Finally, called GARMIN, and got this directive. In my misguided and feeble attempts to fix the problem, I changed the settings on the SONAR system; they recommended going back to having GAIN be set at AUTO, and told me what must be happening is that the gain was set at a depth level that was too deep for the water I was traveling in. I reset GAIN to AUTO, and system seems to be working fine. I share this for the remote possibility that there shall be another all thumbs guy/gal who can benefit from my learning experience.
Thx again to all who advised me.
B

seasick

Reaction score
Barrettkatz said:
Here is the answer -
followed all the great and cogent suggestions of the GW group, and found no fix. Finally, called GARMIN, and got this directive. In my misguided and feeble attempts to fix the problem, I changed the settings on the SONAR system; they recommended going back to having GAIN be set at AUTO, and told me what must be happening is that the gain was set at a depth level that was too deep for the water I was traveling in. I reset GAIN to AUTO, and system seems to be working fine. I share this for the remote possibility that there shall be another all thumbs guy/gal who can benefit from my learning experience.
Thx again to all who advised me.
B
Your solution is pretty amusing. I have a Lowrance HDS-5 and had issues with the sonar reading a very shallow number even in deep water. The sonar would not reset unless I powered the unit off and on.
The fix was to turn OFF the Auto senitivity option!