Depth finder not working

jcacchio

Reaction score
This may be a really stupid question. I had my boat delivered for the summer this past weekend. Everything worked except my depth finder. I have a Garmin chartplotter/depth finder and the chartplotter works fine. Is it possible to have the depth finder fixed without pulling the boat?

Fishtales

Reaction score
You're going to have to do some troubleshooting. First I'd check is the power and grounds to the transducer, the digital sounder (if present) and make sure nothing was disturbed or came loose. Some of the units have a simulation mode, could try that just to see if the display is good (likely fine). There are communication bus (enet or a proprietary bus if older) and potentially a digital sounder. The sounder should have a sequence code via leds to provide status at power up and after on. Not a Garmin guy, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, what do you mean by "not working"? That's vague... clarify? The first thing that came to my mind is that the ducer is kicked up and out of position... but then I'm making an assumption that you have a transom mounted ducer.

jcacchio

Reaction score
Check the plugs to make sure they make contact before doing anything else.
In not working I mean when I turn on the unit, GPS chartplotter is fine, no problem with navigation but I don't have any information on the screen for the fish finder. I have a thru hull transducer.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
In not working I mean when I turn on the unit, GPS chartplotter is fine, no problem with navigation but I don't have any information on the screen for the fish finder. I have a thru hull transducer.

On the chart screen? What fishfinder info do you expect to see on the chart screen?

Did you try switching to a sonar screen? Perhaps the sonar is 'paused'. Of course, if the unit was left on for an extended period after the boat was hauled, you could have thermal damage to the transducer.

But SO MANY different possibilities here, and insufficient info from OP.

If you're "..not a Garmin guy" then why do you have that equipment installed? i.e. either become familiar with your installed equipment, or switch to some you know, or stay far away from other boats and skinny water.

jcacchio

Reaction score
On the chart screen? What fishfinder info do you expect to see on the chart screen?

Did you try switching to a sonar screen? Perhaps the sonar is 'paused'. Of course, if the unit was left on for an extended period after the boat was hauled, you could have thermal damage to the transducer.

But SO MANY different possibilities here, and insufficient info from OP.

If you're "..not a Garmin guy" then why do you have that equipment installed? i.e. either become familiar with your installed equipment, or switch to some you know, or stay far away from other boats and skinny water.
ocnslr,
I never said "I'm not a Garmin guy." That was someone else responding to my post. I have had my unit for 8 years and it has worked flawlessly.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is it a shoot-thru or an actual thru-hull?

Have you tried disconnecting the plugs, checking male/female out, then reinserting? How about various settings in the machine?

Does it show ANYTHING? What does it show, if something? Is the ducer making it's normal clicking sounds?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Do you know if the transducer goes straight to the unit or does it have a digital sounder unit?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So what model Garmin do you have and what model transducer? Give us something to work with here and maybe we can help you troubleshoot.