Depth Finder Question

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a Furuno depth finder on my 98 Islander, and the standrad Hummingbird in the dash. The depth finder works intermittantly, I need to disassemble the electronics box, seems like a loose connection. BUt my hummingbird does not power up at all. I shot the wires, and they seem to be ok. I only found one tranducer on the newly purchased boat. My question is, does the Hummingbird and Furuno share the same transponder typically?

Amigo

Reaction score
I'll take a shot at the questions to get a discussion started.

First on the transducer question. Highly unlikly that both could function from one transducer - especially at the same time. They would both have to function with identical Hz. Likely that the Furuno was installed to replace the Humminbird

On the electircal side, assuming the fuse is OK, I find it far easier to use a meter to check for current first at the fishfinder, then to the switch, working backwards.

Good luck.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
transducer

With Furuno being a higher quality sounder and with the size of your boat it would not suprise me at all if you have a bronze thru-hull 'ducer and the one off the back is the Humminbird. Look under the boat for a bronze circle about 2 inches in dia. DO NOT PAINT IT!!!

There is about a 0 -ZERO- chance they are running off the same 'ducer.
You can run both if you get the wiring issue resolved for redundancy. (I have three, 2 fish finders and 1 sounder)

Pull the male/female plug out of the back of the Humm. and spray w/ some CRC, pull the unit out of the "cradle" and spray connections (it's always the connections!). Check in-line fuses, bus bar connections etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for the scoop, I still only find one transducer, so likely the Furuno is using it, and the Hummingbird is disconnected. This weekend I will pull the E box apart and spray connections with CRC, and reshoot wires. Thanks.

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
where is the one transducer?
have you looked in the bilge for a shoot through?
when it doesn'y work is the whole thing dead or is it lit up and not reading?

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The transducer I found was starboard of the keel, on a flat that looks like it was designed for mounting, 3/4 of the way aft, visible through the battery comp. It powers up, but no depth indicated.

I have not yet been able to locate the Furno transducer.