Depth sounder problem

panhdjoe

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 1995 192 tournament dual consoul (Sea V2 hull). My problem is that My Garmin 440s looses its depth readout almost every time I plane out. I have adjusted it at least 5 times and now it is sitting on the transom exactly the way shown in the drawing in the Garmin installion manual. No amount of tweaking the adjustment has helped much. Question: is this a common problem on boats with this hull? Is this a common Garmin problem? I am considering swaping on a Lowrance HDS 5 I have on my big boat but I will need to replace that, and not 100% shure it will solve the problem.
Looking forward to some shared wisdom. Thanks Joe

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's neither a common problem with the boat, nor the Garmin unit. There's either something wrong with the unit or the installation is wrong. I would "think" that if the unit is the problem, then you would have an issue at low speeds, as well. Since you mentioned that it happens when you get onto plane, it sounds like an installation issue. To begin with, you must make sure you have smooth water coming off the transom chine. The unit should not be installed too close the engine, away from full strakes, and away from anything on the hull bottom that would disrupt water flow (thru holes or partial strakes).

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ditto. I once owned that boat and use Garmin products . I did not have that issue. I think you need to remove it. Run the boat at speed look down at the stern while somebody else is at the helm. Find a good spot where clean water is And reinstall there. Fill old holes with 5200 and or epoxy and gel coat.

seasick

Reaction score
panhdjoe said:
Hello all, I have a 1995 192 tournament dual consoul (Sea V2 hull). My problem is that My Garmin 440s looses its depth readout almost every time I plane out. I have adjusted it at least 5 times and now it is sitting on the transom exactly the way shown in the drawing in the Garmin installion manual. No amount of tweaking the adjustment has helped much. Question: is this a common problem on boats with this hull? Is this a common Garmin problem? I am considering swaping on a Lowrance HDS 5 I have on my big boat but I will need to replace that, and not 100% shure it will solve the problem.
Assuming there is nothing in front or next to the ducer that causes turbulence, it should work, The first thing to try is tilt up the rear of the transducer so that it is not parallel with the keel but will be parallel to the sea floor when on plane. While you are at it check the depth of it. Put a straight edge on the hull and see where the bottom of the ducer is. It should be a tad below, maybe an eighth to a quarter of an inch. The bottom may be losing contact with the water and might need to be even lower. Sometimes trim tabs will lift the stern up and the ducer depth gets too small or goes away. Finally, check the ducers bottom for barnacles or any growth. Even small pieces of gunk will cause turbulence and air bubbles.

seasick

Reaction score
seasick said:
panhdjoe said:
Assuming there is nothing in front or next to the ducer that causes turbulence, it should work. It should be at least 2 inches away from chines or the like and not behing something like a water strainer. The first thing to try is tilt up the rear of the transducer so that it is not parallel with the keel but will be parallel to the sea floor when on plane. While you are at it check the depth of it. Put a straight edge on the hull and see where the bottom of the ducer is. It should be a tad below, maybe an eighth to a quarter of an inch. The bottom may be losing contact with the water and might need to be even lower. Sometimes trim tabs will lift the stern up and the ducer depth gets too small or goes away. Finally, check the ducers bottom for barnacles or any growth. Even small pieces of gunk will cause turbulence and air bubbles.