Detailing details please. And missing gasket?

tgr23

Reaction score
Getting ready to polish up the boat for the spring and I had some questions about cleaning the different surfaces on our Journey. I'm set for the hull but the other areas are a little bit of guess work. Those are:
-Topside: wax all exterior surfaces, same as hull?
-non skid: Wax or no wax?
-Interior surfaces? i.e. The Helm and cabin surfaces? Should these get waxed like the hull?
-Hardtop pipes. What type of wax here? I wiped them down with t-9 before winter.
-Engines. What specific cleaners/wax here?
-Any other areas I should take care of before hitting the water?

On another note. My boat has a black plastic hatch the is hinged in the middle when opened and swung forward out of the way. What sort of gasket material goes in the seam where it is hinged? There is some sloppy gasket material there right now that just doesn't seem like the right answer. It's the same as around the tackle drawers, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Travis

G8RDave

Reaction score
I would say all fiberglass areas get waxed just like the hull except for the non skid. I would use Woody Wax on that. For the metal maybe Collinite Metal Wax? No clue on the gasket.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As G8RDave said, use Woody Wax on the nonskid. Don't use regular wax on it or it will become slicker then you-know-what...it's dangerous.

Fishtales

Reaction score
tgr23 said:
Getting ready to polish up the boat for the spring and I had some questions about cleaning the different surfaces on our Journey. I'm set for the hull but the other areas are a little bit of guess work. Those are:
-Topside: wax all exterior surfaces, same as hull? YES SUGGEST COLLINITE 920 CLEANER FOLLOWED BY MEGUIARS MARINE WAX
-non skid: Wax or no wax? WOODY WAX
-Interior surfaces? i.e. The Helm and cabin surfaces? Should these get waxed like the hull? CLEAN. WAX ONLY IF YOU WANT
-Hardtop pipes. What type of wax here? I wiped them down with t-9 before winter. WOODY HERE TOO
-Engines. What specific cleaners/wax here? WAX ONY
-Any other areas I should take care of before hitting the water? CLEAN AND POLISH ENCLOSURE - MEGUAIRS 2-STEP AND/OR PLEXUS

On another note. My boat has a black plastic hatch the is hinged in the middle when opened and swung forward out of the way. What sort of gasket material goes in the seam where it is hinged? There is some sloppy gasket material there right now that just doesn't seem like the right answer. It's the same as around the tackle drawers, etc.
I WOULD LOCATE THE MANUFACTURER AND CONTACT. THEY WILL PROB PROVIDE FREE OR AT COST ANYWAY.

Thanks for the help.
Travis