Did my Grady have stern bolster cushion or back rests ?

fisher91blue

Reaction score
I searched forums, but did not find a thread that answers this question. I have a 1987 Overnighter 205 (that's the I/O version). At the stern seats there are 2 holes behind each. I am wondering what used to be there? Thinking either a bolster rail of some type or possibly back rests. If anyone has pictures, would be greatly appreciated, I am going to try to fabricate something to support those sitting there. For now, we use a throwable seat cushion.

seasick

Reaction score
Are the holes about an inch in diameter or just a screw hole. If you have the holes about 1 inch, you probably had bolsters. The holes are where the brackets on the back of the bolster slip into. It is also possible that if you had bolsters originally , the back and side may have been a one piece wraparound type.
There are foam coming pads that can be cut to length that are relatively inexpensive. Here is one example

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would venture a guess that, regardless of how they attached (which, at this point, is a moot point since you can do whatever you want), they were probably short and no higher than the gunwale. Go to Grady's site - you should be able to find pictures in the old brochures.

For real support, you'll want to build something taller.

seasick

Reaction score
One problem with making back rests taller is that it makes access to the swim ladder harder both getting off and getting on.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sure, it becomes a small tripping hazzard. All depends on "priorities". An easy solution would be to make them drop-in/removable. But 4" or 5" higher than the gunwale shouldn't be a problem for most people.