Diesel fill

RaRa

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Im i the only one that has a hard time filling my gen up with diesel without making a mess?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's very common for any boat fill (gas or diesel) to quickly overfill as they don't (newer ones usually do, though) automatically shutoff like a car. Add to the mix that diesel pumps flow faster than gas and filling up a small tank happens REALLY quickly. Slow down and listen for the "gurgle" noise from the vent - that's when the fuel is near the top. Alternatively, you could install a whistler into the vent to make it easier to hear when full.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You are not the only one. It isn’t a matter of it backing up it’s a matter of the fill being on a vertical surface I think. I have had better luck buying one of the flexible nozzles that can flex and point down and it’s a relatively small nozzle so it is a bit slow to empty the container. I too tend to spill quite a bit trying to use the standard nozzle. Seems to work fine if using a diesel fuel pump nozzle, but I do not do that too often. Have to be careful not to put diesel fuel in your water and vice versa at least on my 330. Let me know if you come up with a great way to do it!