Diesel furnace

cking

Reaction score
Anyone install a diesel furnace, thinking Espar, on a 282 sailfish? Looking for the best location. Live in the Pacific Northwest and had one on my last boat and loved it

Reactions: PDX-Boats

Talewind VII

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
A diesel furnace is truly great addition to any boat. I live in the Vancouver, BC, area and I've had a furnace on each of my four previous Gradys going back to a '92 Explorer. On walk-around models they hang perfectly from the under side of the walk-around right by the skipper's right shin. Vent it into the cabin and it naturally defrosts the windshield with the hatch open. I have a 305 Express now, and it's furnace is mounted in the accessories area behind the port side wall of the lower berth, with its thermostat easily reachable (in the dark of night) from the forward bunk.

I have stuck with Webasto all the way having heard consistently better reports about them and never having had any trouble other than reluctance to start when the ship's batteries are low! I suggest figuring out what size/model you need then go up one size. In my 305 I have a Webasto, Airtop Evo 55. I think I could melt a small iceberg next to me if necessary!

Beware of the Planar brand - made in Russia, less expensive, but apparently poor quality, and no parts these days!

FH

Reactions: Angler Management

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
OK I'm for sure doing this project this winter. Thinking the main unit will be installed behind the port panel in the mid berth and take advantage of the existing ducting to the cabin from my current heater/AC unit. Thanks for the model of your Webasto, Talewind.
I found an installer who said he'd call GW and find out what the new models are shipping with to get an idea of install position etc... I'll keep you posted.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We used that type of heater in our crew boats during the years I worked in Alaska. It seems like we used the Wallas brand but I'm not sure of that. Anyway ours used an automotive style sparkplug for flame ignition. When running on diesel that plug would get sooted up to the point the ignition would fail. We also noticed heavy fumes in the crew cabin. We switched to kerosine and both problems disappeared. Just our experience and something to consider.

Reactions: Angler Management