Diesel Heater?

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
Anyone have experience installing a Diesel heater in their boat?
My friends says they've had good luck in the Arima forum with this one:

I have a 305 Express with the A/C removed. I'd like to hook something like this up to the ductwork and maybe also plump it into the enclosed cockpit for cold spring fishing days here in the NW.

Thoughts? Experience?

V/R
Brian

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
obvious thought is making sure it can be installed safely. i remember that MB had a diesel heater in some of their European cars (work associates had it). it was not permitted in the USA.

good luck, ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
How much use do you expect? Why not something more portable?

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
How much use do you expect? Why not something more portable?
Up here in Oregon, it's pretty cold and damp most of the year. A would use it pretty regularly as I boat even in the winter time.
I have a portable propane heater but want something to safely heat the cabin

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Why not just replace the HVAC? Mine works very well on cold days. In the end it maybe easier then retrofitting something else.

seasick

Reaction score
Up here in Oregon, it's pretty cold and damp most of the year. A would use it pretty regularly as I boat even in the winter time.
I have a portable propane heater but want something to safely heat the cabin
The key word is safely.
The quality of the Chinese knock offs is sub par as compared to the European models. As commented by some reviewers, many parts are not marine grade. Units can be very noisy and often if a silencer is included, it is not suitable in a boat installation.
You have to be certain that if using existing ducting,, it is compatible with the heater with respect to operating temps.
A decent diesel heater (Us or European made) rated at about 4KW will cost somewhere in the range of $1000 to several thousand dollars plus installation and options like thermostatic control, marine installation kit, etc. I just don't see how a $169.00 product could compare

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had a kerosene heater in my 1960s VW beetles as a kid. I'd always pull it and install it in my latest bug back then. It was awesome but I did have to direct vent it out the hood and cut a feed or two in front wall. I remember the days of 2' of ice and snow I'd start the car (heat was minimal at best) and then crank on the kerosene heater. I'd come out 20 min later and the entire car would be snow free. No shoveling, just rip through the snow. They were awesome in the snow and even better with the studded snow tires. I've had a 64 beetle since the late 1990s. Black plate CA car that I only drive in good weather. The good old days - like the tri hull Sturey and Winner and V hull North American boats. The first two pounded like a storm door in a hurricane. The last was decent in the chop but small at 21'.

seasick

Reaction score
There are lots of YTube videos on the topic