Difference between 272 and 282 Sailfish

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
I was looking at both boats today an the only difference I can see is the changes in the windows. Is there something I am missing but it looks like the same boat. There is a big price difference between the boats also, so what else did GW change on 282 Saifish? :?

SlimJim

Reaction score
check the beam of the boat. the 282 is a much better boat. If you are going to go for a grady, get the 282.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
The beam is the same 9' 6" . The running surface on the 282 extends all the way to the stern . That's the big diff.

Desperado

Reaction score
It depends on what year the 272 is. The euro transom 272s have the exact same hull as the 282, the only difference is the top cap (windows, dash, etc.). Later model 282s had an updated dash for flush mounted instruments and a nicer cabin (corian countertops) and changed to the fold out rear seating layout. I recommend downloading some catalogs from the Grady White website for the years you are looking for.

sraab928

Reaction score
I have a 1998 272 Sailfish and I have been told that 1998 was the first year they extended the running surface all the way to the stern. (ie no step up). I am very pleased with its ride and handling over my previous bracketed hull. I thought that was good at the time too.... its just all relative I guess.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The hull is the same from 1998 on and the length is the same too. Beam never changed since day one in the 80s. Cabin /bridge mode made.

The length is the same, same as my 25 foot Sailfish too, even though your marina will charge you 3 or 4 more feet of storage and seasonal slip fee.

And of course the big difference in retail price.

I f you want to know how same length boats, my 25 foot 1992 252 and the latest 282 get to be called 3+ feet difference in length, would be glad to answer.

Any guesses first? Incluidnmg how it became the 272 first? All the same same length.

I can also tell you how it is possible my 25 foot cockpit is bigger than the 282s!

sraab928

Reaction score
Well when it comes to cockpit I would say the 252 is bigger as they added that molded in rear seat/livewell area in the 272. I assume when the went from bracket to euro transom is when they changed the model - (just guessing) They didnt count the bracket on the originals as length on the model number? Once again just a guess.

As for the cabin/bridge molds... I dont get what that means. Sorry if its obvious.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2004 282 and we have the molded in stern seat. That seat was a big plus for me, I do not like the fold down seat. I was also looking at a 2005 when shopping for my current boat and the 05 had the fold down seat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was referring to modifcations (mods) in the bridge and cabin layout and materials, windows, etc. All on same hull.

I would be fired first day on job as proofreader/editor!
----------------------------------------

Good guess - you got the second part.

For the first one, we can blame or credit the euro (transom) invasion on it , depending on your point of view.

Sailfish owners gave up a lot of (fishing) room and full transom access for aux equipment with the euro transom, which took up more running length than the Drive by over a foot, and additional length confiscated by adding more to fish wells and the other goodies on the cap.

The built in seat came with the euro invasion, another non fishing feature added. The seat area (too low to lean against in seas) further pushed fisherman back from motors which doesn't allow the stern to be fishable, only corners and gunnels = even less cockpit space for fishing.

The Saifish had 6 or 9 models of same year on same hull, in it's glorious heydays which all ended in 1994.

The 25 foot was the base model motor on transom length, w/o optional drive or pulpit.
The 1994 then standard euro stern pushed it out to 272.

Now, what happened to make the 282 (28 foot) come about, even though same length as 272 (27 foot)

I have a hint above!

sraab928

Reaction score
BobP said:
Now, what happened to make the 282 (28 foot) come about, even though same length as 272 (27 foot)

I have a hint above!

Would that be the full running length of the bottom - or the changes to the cabin?

ahill

Reaction score
Other minor details: the 272 has a swim ladder in a molded recess on aft platform. Other 282 changes to battery access, live well, ice boxes, no side water faucet on 282. Others I'm sure but this si what a friend noticed as different between my 98 272 and his 282.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's just a numbers game. In 1994 the Sailfish got a eurotransom (but the Dolphin didn't change but was cut the next year) and was still called a 25. The hull was about 27' but you can't call a Sailfish a 27 and a Marlin a 28, the Marlin is a more boat than 1' worth would add. The next year the Marlin became the 30 and the Sailfish can be called a 27. A few years later the euro was no longer a shelf but a continuation of the hull and for some reason GW didn't change the name (I guess a freebe for the owner as far as ins. and dockage). The next year along with the name change to 28 it also recieved a new liner.

A 282 is no longer than a 272 or the 25 (1994 vintage). The beam hasn't changed since around the 80's.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 28 foot over 27 foot has nothing to do with the full running hull bottom or interior / exterior features mentioned.

Try again. The hint is there.

This one I'm pretty sure about.
I bet the Grady boys in Greenville are getting entertained on this one, if they are in today and happen to be reading this stuff.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Alright, I'll give you another hint.

It has to do what used to be an option, but became standard like so many other things.

gw204

Reaction score
I was told they included the 2" of length added by the rub rail on the transom...thus taking the boat from 27'10" to a full 28'...

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at a 1998 272 and a 2001 282 sailfish. They both had the same engines (200 HPDI`s) and the boats looked the same except for the front windows. My wife asked the salemen where is the extra one foot at and he could not give us an answer. Thanks for the answer Bob P :)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
"Bow Pulpit" gets the prize!

I almost gave up on you guys! How many hints did you need?

At some point in time, the pulpit was no longer optional, but standard, just about like everything else became.

I read somehwere the Coast Guard came down on Grady for understating the lenght, why I wouldn't know and don't necessarily believe that, but with the Euro drive and pulpit the boat is same lenght as my "25" footer, from tip of pulpit rail to rear cowl of my twins.
The 28 foot designation with 282 included some cabins changes coincidentially, but length then and now was same as 272 euro stern Sailfish.