Digital TV converter

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a digital TV converter on their boat? What model did you use?

Thanks.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I installed a Zenith in the motorhome, and it works great. It has a feature called 'pass-thru'. That means if the converter is off, the antenna (or cable, as the case may be) is fed through the converter to the TV. So if you are at a marina that has cable, you don't need to disconnect cables to bypass the converter, or install any "A/B" switches. It done automatically.

The Zenith has picked up many more on-the-air digital signals than I would have expected, with the same old batwing antenna.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why would a converter box be needed?

Aren't most of our TVs like the LCD ones already equipped with digital receivers?

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I contacted GW with that question. They told me that I would need a converter and because it would require 120VAC that I would need to install a larger inverter. My 330 is a 2005 model. Maybe later models have TVs with digital tuners.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
OK

These converters however, draw little power.
Surprised existing inverter can't handle it.

Perhaps a new LCD TV instead - being they are so low prised these days - is a better alternative than new inverter and converter?
They also have them with built in DVD players - if that's a preference.

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had considered a new TV. It seems that those that I looked at had a wide screen format that would not fit the space without alterations. As for the inverter size: it looks like GW pretty closely matched the inverter to the current load.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Can't find a 4:3 ratio ?

What happens if existing TV quits?

Check Crutchfield catalog. Google 4:3 LCD TVs.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree about the converters using little power. I would be surprised if your current (no pun intended) inverter wouldn't handle it. That statement however brings up another issue. The new digital signals are mostly on the UHF freqs. Assuming your current TV antenna receives UHF channels, the converter should work. The antenna also need to be unidirectional. With older analog transmissions, the TVs were a bit forgiving with signal quality. The digital boxes are much more demanding about getting a decent signal.
My friens who have installed converters use their TVs mostly while docked ( and connected to shore power). I don't know how well digiatl TV works while at sea ( Not far at sea either.)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
They have other sets too smaller than 19 inch, too bad 19 inch doesn't fit, plenty of 19s around.

freddy063

Reaction score
i hope i don't need one will find out this weekend