Discharge Overboard?

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Ok in Texas you have to be 3 miles offshore to discharge overboard. But I got a question, on my 282 where does the discharge exit the boat? Looking at the owners manual it seems to show every through hull and none of them are marked as discharge.
I'm going through this boat head to toe and fixing wiring and every thing I can and this has stumped me.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you are checking everything out you need to find the holding tank. On my boat there is a vertical cover behind the toilet bowl. Inside there is the tank and the macerator. Follow the 1" hose to the thru hull. I switched to a different pump. You probably have a pump inside the tank (Grocco pump) and 3 hoses coming out - 1 1/2" intake, 1" vent and 1" pumpout.

Macerator 1.jpg

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

seasick

Reaction score
Assuming you have an overboard discharge option it would be under the hull and close to the holding tank. There would be a seacock on it.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
If you are checking everything out you need to find the holding tank. On my boat there is a vertical cover behind the toilet bowl. Inside there is the tank and the macerator. Follow the 1" hose to the thru hull. I switched to a different pump. You probably have a pump inside the tank (Grocco pump) and 3 hoses coming out - 1 1/2" intake, 1" vent and 1" pumpout.

View attachment 27430
I do have the Grocco, and it is currently not working, that is another project.. :)

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Assuming you have an overboard discharge option it would be under the hull and close to the holding tank. There would be a seacock on it.
Yes the seacock is in the floor in the cabin, but when I look under the boat in that area I see nothing. My view may be blocked by a bunk. It' just strange that the owners manual has so much detail on everything but this. Thank you.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It is just a mushroom head thru hull. I’m sure if you crawl under the boat you will find it. There is probably another one next to it for the water into the bowl.

Grocco in tank macerate is great when they work but a mess to work on. I would not rebuild it - just replace. Expensive buy should get you thru 10 more years.

I redesigned mine to use an exterior pump. Works fine. Documented in a post on this site.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Like others mentioned, you probably just didn't look hard enough or it's covered by a bunk. But if you have a seacock, then you have the discharge. Yes seacock handles get stiff if not "exercised" on a regular basis. Since you're on a trailer, remove the hose and spray some penetrating liquid like PB Blaster in the seacock and let it sit for a day and then re-try. You may need a socket wrench in the square hole on the handle or a pipe over the handle to get some leverage until it starts to move freely again.

I've never understood the reasoning behind putting the pump inside the tank. At some point, the impeller (or duckbills, depending on style of macerator) will need to be changed and it's just nonsense that you have to dig the thing out of the tank. Many, MANY boats have the macerator/transfer pump outside of the tank. I'm chalking this one up along the same lines of the bang cap issues... "This is the way we've always done it". Grrrrr.... ;)

seasick

Reaction score
Perhaps having the pump in the tank helps keeps it primed and offers the greatest suction force as opposed to a separate pickup, and hose to an external pump. Having the pump external but on the tank iss probably just as good but makes the overall specifications of the assembly bigger and limits where the tank might be placed.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Perhaps having the pump in the tank helps keeps it primed and offers the greatest suction force as opposed to a separate pickup, and hose to an external pump. Having the pump external but on the tank iss probably just as good but makes the overall specifications of the assembly bigger and limits where the tank might be placed.
Macerators and/or transfer pumps work very well located even a distance from the tank. But along the lines of what you mentioned, it may just be a convenience of installation thing along with trying to save some space... not that a macerator takes up much room, of course! :)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It’s easier for the pump if it doesn’t have to lift the waste. The Grocco design is great - until you need to service it. I've seen Jabsco pumps screwed into tanks on the bottom. That would work well until you have to service it. My design is above the tank and works well but sometimes I blow an impeller up from running dry (not priming or running too long on pumpout). But servicing the pump is a cleaner operation.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Whale makes a pump that looks great but I can’t figure out how to adapt to 1” discharge hose.

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
Yes the seacock is in the floor in the cabin, but when I look under the boat in that area I see nothing. My view may be blocked by a bunk. It' just strange that the owners manual has so much detail on everything but this. Thank you.
You are correct...the thru hull is under the forward trailer bunk.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Prob bottom painted. It is fairly small. It’s right under the cock.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It’s easier for the pump if it doesn’t have to lift the waste. The Grocco design is great - until you need to service it. It’s seen Jabsco pumps screwed into tanks on the bottom. That would work well unit you have to service it. My design is above the tank and works well but sometimes I blow an impeller up from running dry (not priming or running too long on pumpout). But servicing the pump is a cleaner operation.
You're right, it is easier to push than pull. Although the distance we're talking about here doesn't have much impact on the pump. But, yes, it would technically be easier on the pump.

I've had LOT'S of experience with transfer pumps mounted either on top of the tank (tanks with a dip tube) or a few feet from the tank on the bilge floor - those work really well with no issues. To a lesser extent, I've had experience with "regular" macerators mounted in a similar fashion with no issues, either. But I'm sure there are cases, like yours, where you once in a while burn an impeller when using a "regular" macerator.

Another experience with a "regular" macerator used in a not-so-normal way... On my last boat (a 28' Sea Ray cruiser) I wanted to be able to do pump-outs at home. My first "version" of this was simply screwing a regular macerator directly into the pump-out deck plate (about 4' above the tank). That worked well for a couple years till I came up with a more convenient version.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wanted to be able to do pump-outs at home. My first "version" of this was simply screwing a regular macerator directly into the pump-out deck plate (about 4' above the tank). That worked well for a couple years till I came up with a more convenient version.
This is something I have been contemplating. I am curious about what you came up with that beat using the deck pump-out fitting to evacuate the tank?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's what I was thinking, or a reducer coupling, with a different size hose barb in each end.
A reducer coupler can be had in different styles... for example, pipe to pipe or pipe to barb or barb to barb. It depends on what you have and then you can figure out how to get to that 1" barb for for the discharge hose

I'm not sure what size you're starting at, but you might find something at the hardware store. Or try Mcmaster Carr online - I'm sure they'll have it.

seasick

Reaction score
Whale makes a pump that looks great but I can’t figure out how to adapt to 1” discharge hose.
Are you sure the hose is 1 inch. 1 1/8 inch is what I would expect he boat to have.