Ditch Bag for smaller boat

kendcc

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Was wondering if any of you folks have a sort of Ditch Bag for your smaller Grady? I have a 226 and might start thinking of venturing 25-30 miles on a a good day, but wanted some advice on a) whether or not fellow Grady owner's of a comparable size have ditch bags, and if so b) what do you have in them?.

Thanks in advance!

DC.

jpendejo

Reaction score
we have a vhf floating radio,handheld GPS, waterproof aerial flares,whistle, mirror, McMurdo Personal locator beacon and a first aid kit.
We have a 24' Explorer, and on occassion have gone out 10 miles.

Captain Jim

sluggoe

Reaction score
gotta EPIRB, floating DSC VHF, flares, first aid, tape, whistle, mirror, life raft, flashlite;

--sluggoe

282 w/ F225s

freddy063

Reaction score
For a small boat if don't have room for a life raft, I would get survival suits, and of coarse you got to have epirb.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
We bought a floating bag from ACR. It has an epirb, handheld vhf, handheld Garmin, one of those orange cylendars filled with flares, flare gun, die markers, etc, some sealed snacks and a few bottles of water. If boat/fish in cold water that survival suit is a must. I also have a knife in it.

Brian L

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What brand/model are you guys using for your handheld VHF? I'm looking to buy one for ditch bag purposes and am not sure what brands/qualities/options I should be looking for. I fish in Long Island Sound so would never be more than 10nm offshore (either CT or NY). Any suggestions?

freddy063

Reaction score
how far will a waterproof hand held vhf go at water level , max power that a hand held can putout?

kendcc

Reaction score
Brian L said:
What brand/model are you guys using for your handheld VHF? I'm looking to buy one for ditch bag purposes and am not sure what brands/qualities/options I should be looking for. I fish in Long Island Sound so would never be more than 10nm offshore (either CT or NY). Any suggestions?

I just picked up a Standard Horizon HX850S and a ACR PLB. Gotta love AMEX Rewards :)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have an older Standard HX series ( I think)...it does not float, but it sure is tough as nails. Kyle and I were at Hontoon Island State Park along the St. Johns River in Fla. I was on my skiff and Kyle was next to me. We docked at the marina there and the radio was on the bench seat as I had been using it to talk to the admiral who was on the Grady. I stood up to tie us off and quicker than lightning Kyle grabbed the radio and tossed it in the 4 foot deep blackwater and mud. Being mostly blind he got a kick out of doing this and laughed and grinned. I paid like $250 for this thing. I borrowed a dip net from the ranger and after about 20 minutes like a racoon digging for crayfish in the mud, I felt the metal dip net hit the metal side of the radio. A few minutes later I recovered the radio, still on and made a test call. It worked perfectly fine. My radio on my boat is an ICOM, but I would not hesitate to buy another Standard Horizon product either.