Divorce and my grady

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am 27 yrs old and my wife has decided to leave me after being together for 5 yrs....I know not a long time compared to some of you guys but still, hurts like hell we have been a couple for 15 yrs...just up and decided to leave and I treated her like a queen...First of all: anyone one here go through this and have some advice...papers are coming this week...second, she cant afford to take the boat away (I have been fortunate to have a well paying job)from me, so my question I ask you guys on here is: How has your grady been there for you. All's I know boats have always been a place for me to escape it all, ever since I was 14 an built my own skiff in the basement. After a nice battle of finances last night I got in the truck and headed out for a nice sunset, glass water, a few tunes and fishing, I got to say that my grady has saved me. Sorry guys I needed to vent.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's my escape from the everyday too.

sgt925

Reaction score
Hey Buddy,
Sorry to hear whats going on. Don't sweat it though. Your 27 and you have your whole life to look forward to. Save some cash and treat yourself to something nice.
Sgt925-93 Explorer

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Assuming you don't have any children? I'm 46 and married 19 years with a 15 year old son and 13 year old daughter. Marriage is not easy but never lose faith. Sometimes people get lost or think the other side of the fence is better only to realize they should have stayed put.

My sailfish is what keeps me going when things seems lost. I get to fish on her during the summer (June - October) and they I think about fishing all winter when it is cold and dark. In Feb I had a blood clot travel to my lungs. Been a rough few months but things always get better if you keep the faith!

Good luck!

dduflo

Reaction score
In 1973 I was in the Army and came home from serving 18 months in SE Asia. Exwife met me at the airport and said that she didn't want to be married anymore. The worst day in my life turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. A few years latter I remarried to a wonderful woman that gave me 2 beautiful daughters and loves being on our Grady. Keep your chin up. It is like hitting your thumb with a hammer as the pain goes away and you are undoubtable going to be better off in the long run. Nothing worse than a bad marriage and a great one is like living in Eden.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, man, hang in there. There is nothing like a day on the water to make your cares disappear, at least for a little while. I was married to a wonderful woman in 1968. She was killed in an auto accident in 1970. Devastating, to say the least. I remarried to a wonderful woman in 1976. We had two great kids and we lost her to ovarian cancer in 1997. In 2008, I remarried again and we are very happy. Life does, indeed, go on!

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wost things I ever went through in my life....
Divorce and going to war. I survived both so, hang in there it does get better. I got my Grady after the 1st wife thank god. If you have kids child supprt really hits you in the purse but it is worth it.
if my Grady ended up on the table as an asset to divorce I would sink it before she got any part of it. My current wife loves the boat and respects and encourages my private time on it.

capeguy

Reaction score
Chain,
I divorced my first wife at 27 like you. Was painful at the time, but best thing I ever did! Now been married to a wonderful woman for 15 years with three great kids and Sailfish 282! The Grady will help you in this tough time, but believe me, you have a lifetime ahead of you!

1998sailfish

Reaction score
capeguy said:
Chain,
I divorced my first wife at 27 like you. Was painful at the time, but best thing I ever did! Now been married to a wonderful woman for 15 years with three great kids and Sailfish 282! The Grady will help you in this tough time, but believe me, you have a lifetime ahead of you!

Close here..........28 for me........painful just the same...........until I met my second wife :wink: We married when I was 30. Two children trom my previous, two from her's..........That was in '94..............The kids have grown.....all have been educated at college and at life with a blended family.

Now I'm 48.........and we have an empty nest :lol: our oldest to youngest 26,25, 22 & 22.............life is good.

It's a rocky road for a short time.........but when you meet that special lady in your future (if that is in your future plans) think back........and I mean think hard! Remember what is was that brought you and your first wife together.....the special times you spent.......when nothing else mattered. Focus on your new relationship with the shortcomings of the past in mind (always)! It takes two "in good times AND bad"

What I've just mentioned,others who have been happily remarried will agree on.

Enjoy the things you have at this moment........like that Grady!

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wanted to reply with a bit of wisdom from "been there, done that", but after reading all the replys, I feel the need to call that old girl who met me at the door with papers over 40 years ago and tell her thank you! Now what was her name and where does she live. . .aw forget it. It is just like stomping a cock roach. . .