DIY Powerhead Replacement F150

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I posted earlier about some corrosion problems in the twin F150's on our boat. I dropped one of the Powerheads off at a welding shop to see if they can repair it. If that doesn't work I need to make a decision on replacing the Powerheads, or considering selling the motors as-is for someone else to do the Powerheads and look for some running take off OX66's.

If we go the powerhead route how difficult is it to swap everything over? I am mechanical but I have not attempted this before. It just a big expense for something not to go right and dropping it off at a marina is not an option. I figure it is going to cost about $8k to rebuild both motors assuming the heads are good (they look ok?), powerhead and mid-sections, and in theory we should have like-new F150's. I am really leaning towards a nice pair of OX66's or maybe HPDI's though.

Has anyone had direct experience in replacing the powerhead yourself? Removing it was easy and if it is just more of that I should be able to handle. I know the cam shafts need to be removed, but the procedure looked straight forward.

I do not see this as our "forever boat" otherwise I would strongly consider new motors, but I see us having it for 2-3 years before moving into a newer 282 or 300.

Thanks

Andrew