Do I need new hinges?

Pighunter

Reaction score
The electronics door on my 228 hard top does not stay open when moving. Do I need new hinges are do they not stay open when the boat is moving?

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
New hinges would likely help but they can only do so much while the boat is bouncing around. My overhead boxes also had a small length of heavy clear flexible plastic with the same style twist-clip that the curtain roll ups had that was used to hold the door open. The Southco C-6 series of hinges are rated for something like 15lbs and have different detent angles so you can match to what you have but unless it’s fairly calm you’re probably going to need something additional to keep the doors open while running.

Reactions: Pighunter

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, my setup is exactly as what Fowl Hooked has. I put all new hinges on my boxes and they will still close while underway if it gets bouncy. The hinges will hold it while wine and cheese cruising, but anything above that and the strap goes on.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Every 223/225/226/228 that I’ve owned has had this same issue. I solved the problem every time by removing the door and going with a flush mount panel with the electronics installed in it. Easier to read the GPS and FF that way, too.

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’m with Parthery. I had my panel removed when electronics were installed. Flush mount 9” screen and VHF on carbon fiber look panel, matches the Grady White panes very closely and you don’t have to move the door every time to use the touch screen. I think the glovebox is a great thing to have before touch screens, but now is just an outdated design that I expect Grady will update soon.

My loss of storage will be made up by the hardtop box, which won’t be housing any electronics.

10052648-89CE-4125-B0DE-9B7E7ED81059.jpeg

Last edited:

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here’s my setup. I didn’t flush mount on the overhead box because I wanted some protection from the weather. I have the same problem with the hinges on the overhead box but I strung a bungee across the overhead mesh lifejacket holder and tuck that under the open cover when running in anything but flat calm. I used 1/4 Starboard for the flush mounts. Originally worried about flexing and was going to add a stiffener behind it but I never had a problem. I think the MFD and radio units themselves add stiffness to the setup. I’m very happy with this setup and don’t really miss the glovebox. 7F973A0A-FFBB-4F02-B0A5-FD3AA7EDAF28.jpeg886794F4-4261-4D17-B79C-78D9DD87316D.jpeg

Reactions: C-Farer

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have my electronics in my lower electronics box on my 232. To keep the door open when running I placed a rubber 45 degree door stop between the door and fiberglass near the hinge. Used for several years and keeps the door open when running with no damage.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The electronics door on my 228 hard top does not stay open when moving. Do I need new hinges are do they not stay open when the boat is moving?

Wait a minute! Are you asking about the upper boxes on the hardtop, or the lower box at the helm? My helm box will stay open with the new hinges while running unless it's really bumpy, then it will close. I guess I could flush mount my electronics in that box because with both side by side, I have no storage in there.

20170507_193213_resized.jpg

Pighunter

Reaction score
Upper box, helm stays open. I'm just going to use a Velcro strap.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I attached a picture of my finished electronics install following my previous mock up picture. Flush mount is the way to go I think.

Attachments

• Electronics.JPG
    Electronics.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1