Do I need scuppers

yellolab

Reaction score
Hi-

I am finishing the transom rebuild on my 1984 19' Tournament(new transom at 25"), and was thinking about putting as few holes in the transom as possible, so I am wondering do I really need scuppers? I will be mouting a Honda 150 on it, so I am guessing it will sit lower than normal and am thiking the scuppers may very well be under the waterline anyway.

The boat is trailered, BTW, not in wet slip.

I don't go on the ocean, the boat will only see inland lakes here in Vermont. Do I really care about the cockpit being self-bailing?

Of course, I have a bilge pump.

Whay say you greatgrady ???

thanks in advance/Kevin

striped bass

Reaction score
Lab:
Yes, you need scuppers IMHO. If you want to put the boat in the drink first to measure the waterline to keep the scuppers above water that's fine. But you do need scuppers for safety. Gnarly water can kick up almost anywhere even in inland waters. You didn't mention if you have family aboard but that would make it even more important.

Safe boating.

PS: How about a few pics of thew new transom.

yellolab

Reaction score
striped bass said:
Lab:
Yes, you need scuppers IMHO. If you want to put the boat in the drink first to measure the waterline to keep the scuppers above water that's fine. But you do need scuppers for safety. Gnarly water can kick up almost anywhere even in inland waters. You didn't mention if you have family aboard but that would make it even more important.

Hmm interesting idea- so if I raise the scupper an inch or two, then would the valves still be below the deck? And if they were'nt I assume deck would not bail until underway ?

Kevin

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My last boat had the scuppers dumping out to the side of the hull, not thru the transom so that's always an option.

striped bass

Reaction score
Lab:
I have seen several Gradys with the transom exit outlets below the water line and the deck entry scupper openings still remain above the water line and the cockpit still drains out the water albeit a little slower at a dead standstill than if all were above the water line but it drains nonetheless. As you probably know when underway the exit scuppers will rise above the water line as the boat planes. You will probably get sufficient drainage by leaving the original configuration the way it was designed which is what my decision would be. There are many posts on this forum about transom scuppers below the water line which you might find informative by doing a search.

To answer you question, the deck openings need to remain above the water line and the exit scuppers below the height of the deck scuppers. The original height difference between the deck entry and transom exit scuppers may possibly be enough to allow you to slightly raise the exit scuppers but only you will be able to determine that when you measure the vertical difference when you put the boat in the drink. Bayrat's idea of side exits is worth considering as well.

colecaz

Reaction score
Look around at dealers and shows and note all the boats in the 15-20 ft range that don't have scuppers and depend on the bilge pumps and then make your decision.

gradyrod

Reaction score
try rubber plugs!

I have a fisherman 204 which always has the scuppers beneath the water line. What i did was to plug up the 4 scuppers with removeable rubber stopper plugs (got at pool store). I plug up the scuppers while at the dock, and pull them out as needed while underway. I did mount a second bilge pump in the stern right up against the transom with a discharge hose that goes over the top of the transom. This takes care of any water build up from a rainstorm. working out great so far (second season with it).

Gradyrod
1985 Fisherman 204