Do I really need NMEA2000?

quantase

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just got a new GW235 with Garmin 1243xsv chart plotter, Yamaha CL7 display, VHF, and Fusion Apollo radio/remote, Yamaha single Helm control. I was updating the software on the 1243xsv and noticed that the other screens did not update. I had to update each by itself (except for the CL7 display). I heard that with the NMEA2000 that if you update one, then they all will update to the most current software. I was wondering is it worth installing an NMEA2000 at this point? I'm not certain if I will be adding additional electronics, but who knows what the future may hold.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I am no expert but I Have 2 8616, cl7 , fusion radio and everything else connected to the NMEA2K
network. When I update one thing it update everything. Also you can control everything through
1 displace if you want.

quantase

Reaction score
Thanks Sauza45. By any chance do you know what software version your cl7 is currently on? I'm not sure how outdated mine may be.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It is nice to have as everything is essentially linked together and yes... updates are much quicker and easier and so on and so forth. If you just have the basic older Yamaha engine gauge that has your hours and some of the other basics on it, then yes it's definitely a nice thing to have since you can see all of the engine data, fuel economy and other info and everything else on your GPS instead of looking at the little gauge. If you've got the Yamaha CL7, I believe that pretty much does most all of that stuff for you? So, getting a NMEA2000 network probably wouldn't be as beneficial with a brand new boat, electronics and so forth... but I can't imagine it would be very expensive to add one. I'm sure if you're handy, you could even do that on your own for very little money at all, and you'd get a few benefits out of doing so, as mentioned above.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Garmin units don’t update over the NMEA 2000 network. It’s used primarily to exchange information between the units. You do need NMEA 2000 for the Fusion interface to control radio from Garmin display. Radios too. Same with external gps heads. You really should have it.

Garmin uses its network to talk between the units. This is how all updates are installed. Use Active Captain.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
N2k lets marine electronics of all brands share certain important info like position,speed, fuel.... Your 1243 already has a built-in GPS and Sonar so you don't NEED it now. As you add things like Autopilot, AIS, another MFD screen, a Heading Sensor, etc then you will need it.
You have a Fusion radio that probably has a N2k port and possibly your VHF has an N2k port. If your VHF does not have built-in GPS then you should connect it to N2k if you can. Then it will receive position data over N2k and can send that in an emergency DSC distress signal.

The CL7 is actually a Garmin product (a GPS7407or 7607). I think it has a Garmin network port (ethernet). If that is the case then you can use the 1243 to keep track of other garmin network units and download updates for them. If the CL7 updated then its probably connected on the garmin network.
The garmin network is different than N2k. It is specific to Garmin and shares and controls a lot more data.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if the Garmin and CL7 are networked you will be able to see it on the Garmin device list (if you can see your engine info on the 1243, then they're networked) if not, you need to use a Garmin network cable from the 1243 to the CL7. you can then update (maps & software) via sd through the CL7 port . i personally have no interest in trying to update the head units via wireless. updating the CL7 requires YDIS machinations. the current version is 20.40/4.40 (sounder). if that is what shows up you are up to speed and don't need a Yamaha tech involved. good luck, ron

quantase

Reaction score
Thanks for the info all. This is helpful. Looks like my Yamaha cl7 is hooked up on the 12PIN XOCR cable in the back. On my ActiveCaptain app it says it is 20.40 version, so it sounds like it’s updated to the most current. Not sure if it somehow connected through the Garmin network without having the NMEA2000. I’m guessing so.
I downloaded the bluechart lake chart onto an sdcard and placed it in one of the front slots in the CL7, but it asked for a memory card to have ActiveCaptain. I’m guessing that both units (1243xcv and the CL7) need to have a dedicated Sd card for ActiveCaptain. Is that correct? Do have to have an ActiveCaptain sdcard in the CL7 and the sdcard with the bluechart/lake chart on the second sdcard for it to show up on the CL7? If so will it also show on my 1243xsv? I don’t want to have two separate ActiveCaptain accounts though. Thanks.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
there is a process to follow regarding the map updates. can't remember, but look it up. fairly straight forward. the software should update from the sd without active captain input. i download directly from the garmin site to my pc then an sd, following the appropriate download instructions. when you update, it will say you don't have authority to update the CL7, but it looks like you are up to date on that. good luck, ron

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my ActiveCaptain app it says it is 20.40 version, so it sounds like it’s updated to the most current. Not sure if it somehow connected through the Garmin network without having the NMEA2000. I’m guessing so.
I downloaded the bluechart lake chart onto an sdcard and placed it in one of the front slots in the CL7, but it asked for a memory card to have ActiveCaptain. I’m guessing that both units (1243xcv and the CL7) need to have a dedicated Sd card for ActiveCaptain. Is that correct? Do have to have an ActiveCaptain sdcard in the CL7 and the sdcard with the bluechart/lake chart on the second sdcard for it to show up on the CL7? If so will it also show on my 1243xsv? I don’t want to have two separate ActiveCaptain accounts though. Thanks.
I have two Garmin units but only need one Active Captain SD card. No CL7 on my boat. Fusion stereo, GPS 24xd, iCom 510 w/AIS VHF, 943xsv, 8612xsv and engines all connected to NMEA2000 buss.

Garmin updates using the Garmin network not the NMEA2000 buss. The Garmin 943xsv and 8612xsv units have a J1939 connector that connects to the marine engine network. This is for engine information. NMEA2000 is used for NMEA2000 devices like GPS's, Fusion Stereo controls and in my case my Yamaha F150's are connected for engine information.

You should be able to look at the devices sensed by Active Captain or go to your Garmin unit and look at NMEA2000 device list or system configuration. Does Active Captain or Garmin displays "see" the CL7? I have no idea how you update the CL7.

My Garmin system only shows me one wifi network for both displays. Somehow it knows the two displays are on the same network. Does your CL7 have a Garmin marine network connector on it and is it connected to your Garmin displays? Does the CL7 let you access settings screens or does Yamaha lock you out?

You need to talk to owners on this site to see how they are handling the CL7 in theIr network. It may be that you need to go to your Yamaha Dealer for the CL7 update. Or possibly Yamaha won't allow the two networks to be combined.

Last edited:

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
You can connect the CL7 to many Garmin displays via Garmin Marine Network (GMN) and/or NMEA2000. You get more functions if you use GMN such as shared maps, sonar and radar. You only need one Active Captain microSD card and it can be in any device if you have the GMN. It is especially convenient to use the front microSD slot on the CL7 for Active Captain card and software updates since the slot is on the back of the 84xx and 86xx displays. However, you cannot update the CL7 even if you use it's microSD slot to update all other Garmin devices. Only a Yamaha dealer can update the CL7.

Last edited:

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Run marine network and NMEA2000 between your CL7 and chartplotter - you won't regret it. They will work as one combined unit, you can change views on both from one button on either, and you'll get engine readout on both devices. Totally worth a network card and a NMEA2000 drop cable.