Do you think twin 115's are enough power for an offshore 242

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Bokat

Reaction score
No. I didn't think twin 140's were enough hp for my Gulfstream, so I don't think twin 115's will be enough for your boat.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used to own a 1988 Offshore. With sprayed on Teflon bottom paint (very smooth) boat would do 44mph as per GPS with 1988 225 Evinrude spinning a 15X17 aluminum prop. This was a notched transom boat, with no hardtop. This was lightly loaded with 50 gallons of fuel in flat water.

I am no expert, but in almost every performance test I haver read, when comparing the same boat with twins to a single outboard the findings are similar. Here are my observations: Boat A. has 225 single, to achieve same top end boat needs about twin 125hp (if available). Boat B. has 250 single, to achieve same top end needs about twin 140hp (if available). This "need" for twins to have more total horsepower is due to added weight and added drag.

Most boat owners (especially Grady owners) do not operate a boat at full throttle all that often. However it is a a good measurement of overall boat performance. I had very few worries about heading offshore with my single. But given the choice on that boat (or my current 24' Explorer) I would prefer a set of new 140 or 150 hp. Not necessarily for the speed or the redndancy, but for handling and choices. You could run on one when slow trolling, docking would be greatly improved, and 'somtimes' fuel economy actually improves.

Sorry for the long post...

ddog

Reaction score
Tunaman, trailer boats magazine did a comparison on the same boat between a Yamaha F225 and two F115's. The two F115's out performed the single F225 in fuel economy, topspeed and time to plane.Pretty good article sometime last year. Don't remember the boat they used right off hand.

Gulfcoast 242G, My vote (but not a choice) would be for a pair of 140HP four stroke suzuki outboards. Currently best power to weight ratio of the four stroke outboards.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ddog,
I was a little hasty with my response above. With today's four strokes and hi presssure outboards things are changing. Some of the newer large outboard powered boats are actually more efficient with triples instead of twins. Guess I'll have to remember that when I win the lottery and pick that 36' Grady up...

DannysDingy

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My 242g's yammi 250 pushes the boat just fine. Not sure if twin 115 could do justice. I guess it depends if.this is going to be used on a calm lake then yes. But saltwater I'm not too sure.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
My 24.4 had a 225 and would touch low to mid 40s. Problem was when I hit a good wave it would just about stall the motor.

I would want a true 115 or as close to it as possible. They get like 10% wiggle room.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm thinking that is insufficient HP for that boat. 150s yes, 115s probably not.

Madhatter0

Reaction score
i have a 242 offshore with twin 200's granted the are the older 2 stroke johnsons but. . .i get compliments all the time about the pick up and the ability of the boat to push through waves