Dock line question

Vince

Reaction score
Need to buy dock line for my 268 islander, west marine guide says to buy the boats length in line.

Seams long, I was thinking 15 feet.
I'm trailering it this year but may dock it next.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First start with buying nylon only. They are the strongest and have great elasticity which is extremely important. As for length , absolutely go by boat length for the spring lines. You can get away with shorter for the bow and stern lines.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It all depends on whether you are buying for your home dock, where every time is the same, or whether you will be covering the bases for cruising, waterside restaurants, etc.
There have been plenty of times when I threw a line to a dock hand from more than 15 feet away on a windy day, or a crowded dock.
On my destroyer, we would bet on who could get a heaving line on the dock from farthest away.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Glacierbaze has a good point about pulling up to a dock and dine or transient slip. Go long but stay with NYLON

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I would consider getting 2 sets, one for your home dock and one for transient docking either restaurants, gas dock rafting etc. The transient lines can also be used as your storm lines in case of doubling up in bad weather, although if you trailer this may not be applicable. Your home dock lines can be pre tied or marked to make pulling in to your slip and tying off easier. Another thing to consider is to color coordinate your lines having your spring lines different colors then your bow and stern lines. its much easier to tell crew members or dock hands to grab the "black line" or tie off the "gold line". I use double braided for all my lines. Defiantly get at least a couple 25' lines for each set.

seasick

Reaction score
Bow and stern lines as a general rule should be about 2/3 the length of the boat. Spring lines generally are as long as the boat. The diameter of the line is important. Using the boat length ( and to a great extent, it's weight) will determine the recommended line diameter but the size of the cleats at the dock is important also. A rule of thumb is that lines should have 1/8 inch of diameter for every 9 feet of boat length but also 1/16 inch of diameter for every inch of cleat width. For permanent docking this will insure maximum holding power of the line. So if you need 5/8 inch line, the cleats at the dock should be 10 inches tip to tip. For 3/8 in lines, 6 inch cleats are suggested. For transient use of course it's not that important.
My point is that bigger is not always better when it comes to line diameter. More lines however may be better. The minimum number for a typical hull ( if there is such a thing) is 4 lines, preferably bow, stern and two opposing spring lines

seasick

Reaction score
I would consider getting 2 sets, one for your home dock and one for transient docking either restaurants, gas dock rafting etc. The transient lines can also be used as your storm lines in case of doubling up in bad weather, although if you trailer this may not be applicable. Your home dock lines can be pre tied or marked to make pulling in to your slip and tying off easier. Another thing to consider is to color coordinate your lines having your spring lines different colors then your bow and stern lines. its much easier to tell crew members or dock hands to grab the "black line" or tie off the "gold line". I use double braided for all my lines. Defiantly get at least a couple 25' lines for each set.

I like you color coded line idea but I am not sure my wife will agree. Color coordination is important to her.

Fish- on

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I used different colored electrical tape on the ends to separate the different pair of lines. Have to keep the wife Happy.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
There are a lot of ways to tie up a boat depending on the circumstances.
No one mentioned this but Floating Docks allow shorter lines because you don't have to deal with tide.
I'm on a floating dock. I have most of my dock lines measured out and reversed to allow using the eye to the boat. That way they are always the right length.
I need to color code some because my crew don't listen....:rolleyes:

I see your are a trailer boat. In that case get two 25 ft, two 20s & two 15s so you are prepared for whatever dock & conditions you encounter.
You are probably just going tie to the ramp dock when launching and recovering....and maybe a restaurant or gas dock

Vince

Reaction score
Ok sounds good , a couple 25 and a couple 15, thanks folks.

Been waxing her up shes looking real nice right now 20200407_152934.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Good point about floating docks. I have one boat at a floating dock and one at fixed dock, the later being much more of a challenge to tie off. At that location the daily tide movement is less than a foot but the actual mean water level after a storm with runoff or when winds are up can be a difference of almost 3 feet. Many folks in my area use mooring whips. I have been doing OK with appropriate lengths lines, including spring lines.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The colored line approach is a good one - I started that last year. The first line to be tied off as we back into the dock is a different color. Found it 1000x easier to explain, as it seemed there was a new person on board every trip. Much easier to describe the "Green" line, than 1000 words describing one of 5 blue ones. Especially when all the lines are still on the dock. Even pointing out what will be needed upon return did not work as well as a different color line.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think it depends on your set up. I have right sized lines at the dock that stay at the dock 3/4" and (2) the size of the boat and (2) 2/3 size of the boat that I carry on board 1/2".
Just makes life easier.

seasick

Reaction score
My comments on the line diameter and the cleat size were based on an article I read awhile back about tying off a line on a cleat. Basically the premise was that a line should hold tight ( no slip) with one wrap around the cleat. It seems the space between the dock and the underside of the cleat corresponds to the size of the cleat. If the gap is small, a too thick line won't wrap correctly. If the line is too small in diameter for the gap, the line won't hold when tied off. Sounded a bit too detailed so I just went to my marina and tied off different diameter lines to different sized cleats. Dang. The fellow who wrote the article was spot on. With the right sized line for the specific cleat, only one wrap is needed and the line stays tight and doesn't slip ( without wrapping multiple knots). It was quite an educational moment at least as far as tying off lines can get!.
What really mattered was that depending on the boat size and therefore the recommended line diameter, the dock should have the appropriately sized cleats.
All of this is probably not all that earth shattering but I am pretty bored sitting here with my glass of wine.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree, the sizing is a bit much in normal conditions, but when it blows or a big storm comes in always best to have the next size line. Most cleats I've come across at the commercial docks or marinas are more than sufficient. Likely more of an issue with personal docks.