Dock Line Source

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just had my reminder from a West Marine email that I need to replace the dock lines for my 330 this winter - where is the preferred vendor for these? Planning on braided lines, 5/8".

Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just had my reminder from a West Marine email that I need to replace the dock lines for my 330 this winter - where is the preferred vendor for these? Planning on braided lines, 5/8".

Thanks
Dock lines can be purchased just about anywhere - I wouldn't say there's really a "preferred" vendor or anything like that. But a company like NE Ropes is a known-good manufacturer. However, if you buy from a local store you should be getting good ropes from them, as well.

BUT... how does WM know you need new ones? Sounds like a scam to get some money from you.

There is absolutely no "set time" to replace them. Replacement is done on an as-needed basis. Inspect them. Wash them if you want and then soak in water/fabric softener. Should be good to go after that.

Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
LOL sorry for not being clear. I made a mental note last fall that my lines needed replacing. The email came today, which reminded me that I needed to replace them. Of course, it would be a lot funnier to say that I was just telling my wife that I need to buy dock lines last night and big brother notified WM who sent me an email...

• Haha
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Sailfish

Reaction score
WM is having a dockline sale right now, so BIg Brother may know already...

seasick

Reaction score
With respect to line diameter, it is a general rue that it should be 1/16 inch times the length of the dock or boat cleat in inches. For example a 6 inch cleat would best fit a 3/8 inch line. 8 inch takes a 1/2 in line and a 10" cleat suits a 5/8 line.
You should select a line diameter based on the cleats on your boat and hopefully your dock cleats are a similar size.
I use braided nylon as it has a bit of stretch. It does get stiff over time and when it is a pain to undo a line because it is stiff, it's time to replace

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
LOL sorry for not being clear. I made a mental note last fall that my lines needed replacing. The email came today, which reminded me that I needed to replace them. Of course, it would be a lot funnier to say that I was just telling my wife that I need to buy dock lines last night and big brother notified WM who sent me an email...
Ha! OK, that's better! I gotta admit, I was a little worried :) Either that, or I was going to send you an email that stated it was time to send Dennis some money.....

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265

Thanks
5/8 is a pretty hefty line even for a 330... I would think.

The WM brand and the NE Ropes are both good when you get them on a big sale.

seasick

Reaction score
I've used both 1/2 and 5/8. I prefer 1/2. It is plenty strong and much easier to cleat. 5/8 for heavy weather conditions maybe.
Breaking strength aside, using a larger diameter line on a small cleat can be more prone to line slip.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Try Defender too. When they start to get stiff just run them through the washing machine with fabric softener. 1/2" also tends to work better if you have multiple lines tied to a single cleat.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I agree 5/8 isn’t needed in general use. You might visit docks that can only use 1/2 or even 3/8 so have a few smaller lines on board just in case if you go larger

Fishtales

Reaction score

Thanks
5/8" is the right size for the lines. I'd inspect. You can get several years out of them. I like the black ones from West Marine - just wait for a sale.