Docking Question ? Anybody use a wood Plank to get on Boat?

Roadworker

Reaction score
I need to get a wood plank to get on boat from Marina and i have the Grady bracket on a 22 seafarer so it is very far with motor up.

Does anyone know what size L xW x H and what kind of wood you would use.

thanks all

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
:? I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. :? Sounds like your asking about some type of gangplank. You may want to be more specific in what you're asking -- unless it's just me!

Roadworker

Reaction score
Yes sorry was not sure what you would call it but a Gangplank sounds correct.

What i am trying to say is when boat is backed in at marina and has engine in up position ( boat has the Grady bracket) the boat sits very far away from the dock.

I need wood plank of some kind and was curious to what size is correct and what kind of wood do you use? ( like deck wood)..

thanks

Amigo

Reaction score
Sounds like you want to position the gang plank with one end on the dock and the other end on the bracket?? Is that correct?

If so, what is the distance between the dock and the bracket??

G8RDave

Reaction score
How do you get off the boat right now? There aren't any docks on the sides? If you do the gangplank deal I would get an aluminum ladder the right length and fasten marine plywood (or just outdoor plywood) on top of it with squared off u-bolts. Be sure to add non-slip stickers to it!

timo14

Reaction score
You might want to consider an aluminum scaffold plank. They are very light so it'd be easy to deploy. They also have a non-skid surface. You'd just have to do a little work on the boat end so it won't scratch the gel-coat... might even be able to add some hinges to the dock end to keep it in place. Here's a link to McMaster-Carr's planks. The extendable model at the top of the page might serve you well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#scaffold-planks/=21zbj4

Good Luck!

Fechmupbud

Reaction score
I think what you're asking can be done simply...

A 2x12 will hold you fine. My buddy uses the same thing to get on/off his boat at the commercial dock.

LI Grady

Reaction score
My marina doesn't have finder slips either so I have to dock my Marlin bow in as well.

We have a simple Todd 3 step box (West Marine or build your own) and go on over the bow rail.

One of my projects this year is to remove the peice of the bow rail at the very end to make it easier. A few of the other outboard powered boats in the marina have done this and rave about the ease.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've seen it done at some marinas without fingers and back-in docking. Guys make up planks using a few pressure treated 2bys (2x 8s?) layed next to eachother with a few crossovers underneath say at three points to keep it together, then leave it back across the dock when not in use. These homemades don't lend themselves to thieves.

This is for able bodied people not under the influence, and wood doesn't require any anti-slip coatings.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My marina has a few areas with the froghooks but the ones they have won't work on my Grady. The bracket puts the transom too far to reach. After looking at the Froghooks website it looks like they make a model specifically for a bracket setup.

I think this would be a great solution (although it is very pricey)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've also observed the planks hinged up on the dock, they stand it up when not in use, have a rope and pulley tied up to drop and raise it.

dlevitt

Reaction score
When I had my Grady, I used a 2 x 10 plank that I bought from Home depot. No need for anything fancy or pressure treated, just a plain old piece of wood.

I rigged a piece of rope with a large loop on it on one end. This way, when it was on the dock, I could "snag it" with my boat hook. I also used the boat hook to place it on the dock when I left.