Docking

LarryO

Reaction score
Any tips backing into a slip with a 20ft Overnighter with little tide appreciated . I have a chance to get a slip where I need to do this but am out of the water and can't check it out . Am use to going in frontwards against a 3 mph tide and do ok . Don't like the idea of leading with my motor and must be able to do it alone . Thanks , Larry

jtsailjt

Reaction score
Tough to give you real good advice without seeing exactly what your slip looks like and being aware of local conditions. But you're wise to think ahead about the best way to approach it before you get on the water, especially singlehanded with a single engine boat with a straight transom that's almost impossible to track in a straight line while in reverse. I suggest that you go to your marina and just look at local conditions and all the various ways other people put themselves in precarious positions as they arrive and depart and then spend a lot of time thinking about what you see and how to avoid their mistakes. Look for a sale on fenders and preposition them all along the sides of your slip, cheap insurance for when the best laid plans inevitably go awry.

From what I know about your situation, I wouldn't attempt to back into a slip under power at all, but I would leave your engine running, just in case you have a sudden change of plans and need to reset and ponder what just went wrong. Preparation (physical AND mental) is everything. As you approach the slip, make sure you have fenders hung at the proper height and don't scrimp on size. I would rig docklines fore and aft, making sure your bow line is long enough to reach about 10' beyond your stern routed outside your bow pulpit. Also,if you don't already have one, consider adding a midship cleat so you can have a third dockline rigged there. As you approach your slip, be especially alert for current conditions and any changes from "normal" such as current, crosswinds, other nearby boats protruding further than normal from their slips, other boats preparing to arrive or depart from nearby, waves, etc. If you have passengers, mention to them that you'll have to take a break from whatever you're discussing so you can really focus for just a couple of minutes. Then, just pull up (or back up) to the end of your slip and with both (or all 3) docklines in your hand, step off onto your slip and walk your boat into place. With all 3 lines in your hand, you will have control even in a crosswind. Your other option is to remain in your boat and if there are sufficient handholds along the edge of your slip, walk it in that way, but in strong winds or current this may be impossible. If an especially strong gust comes up so it's difficult to control (unlikely with a 20' boat), quickly TAKE A WRAP around a cleat or post until you can get some help, don't stand there slowly getting pulled into the water. If your slip is one of those that only extends about 10' with a post further out, tightly string a permanent line from the post to the end of your slip so you can grab it while still in our boat and walk it in that way. If someone is there to help you, don't assume they know what they're doing, no matter how well intended they may be. Most helpers will tend to yank hard on whatever line you hand them with no thought of what that will do to the other end of your boat or how difficult it is to get a heavy boat stopped before it smashes into something, so if someone offers to help, stick to YOUR PLAN and be polite and calm, but DIRECTIVE! Have an additional fender available in your boat with lines rigged from both ends that you can quickly grab and place between your boat and whatever it's about to hit, but on a smaller boat, a life vest can also be used, much better than jamming your fingers or scratching your neighbors boat when something unexpected happens! I like to have lines rigged from your slip that are premeasured to keep your boat from hitting anything and quickly slip the loops in the end of these lines over your cleats once your boat is in position. The docklines you used during the docking process can be used as backups or coiled up and stowed. You can look in Chapman's or many other sources (BoatUS) to reference how to set up bow, stern, and 2 springs, and on a slip with access to both sides, if you're anticipating bad weather, secure both sides. When you're initially tying up your boat, keep in mind that if yours is not a floating dock, even a small amount of tide will affect the tightness of docklines so you should anticipate that and plan accordingly. I realize I mentioned a lot of things here and many of them may not apply to your situation, but hopefully they'll get you thinking about which of them might apply to your particular slip and boat.

You're already off to a good start because you're thinking about it before you even get on the water. Good luck!

LarryO

Reaction score
Thanks . One issue is the lacking of a finger , has just one pole and a 4 ft finger walkway .

Boat Hound

Reaction score
The only recommendation I have is to take your time and practice. Even with a ton of practice, you will mess it up (typically when a ton of people are looking). Don't be afraid to use the pilings to pivot on (they don' call them rub rails for nothing). Keep a boat hook at the ready. The one thing you have going for you is at least a 20' is easy enough to muscle around.

LarryO

Reaction score
Thanks , pivot idea sounds good .

seasick

Reaction score
Depending on the dock, a spring line may be helpful. If you get close enough to hook a line, tie it off to one of the mid ship cleats with a short amout of line let out. Then you continue backing into the dock. The spring line will pulle you boat towards the dock and if set correftly, also limit the amount of aft movement.
If you are locky enough to have wind or tides aross the beam towards the dock, things are easier. Get close and let the wind/tide do the rest.
Once you get the correct length fo the spring line, docking will be easier on subsequent times.

LarryO

Reaction score
Went down to the marina today , noticed a lot of pulpits with anchors past the pilings . Captain there said it not supposed to be that way but he does okay going slow and pulling ropes .
Mastering a spring line when alone sounds great . Thanks Seasick , Larry

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
Depending on the dock, a spring line may be helpful. If you get close enough to hook a line, tie it off to one of the mid ship cleats with a short amout of line let out. Then you continue backing into the dock. The spring line will pulle you boat towards the dock and if set correftly, also limit the amount of aft movement.
If you are locky enough to have wind or tides aross the beam towards the dock, things are easier. Get close and let the wind/tide do the rest.
Once you get the correct length fo the spring line, docking will be easier on subsequent times.

Agree with SeaSick, if you have secure a midship cleat line before backing all the way in, it will offer protection against striking dock with motor, and pull boat in to walkway. Slow moves.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First thing you'll learn is you will screw up, don't get worked up about it. If you have to pull out and try again. Without seeing what you have to work around it's hard to give advise. Others have already mentioned quite a few pointers; if there is a pole USE IT. Once you get the stern past the pole you're in, use the motor and pivot the boat around it and let the motor pull you in. Unless there is no wind or current backing in straight is futile, it's made to run pointy end first. Also keep the motor trimmed up it'll be more resposive in reverse.

Basically practice, practive, and more practice.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
After practicing, tide is predictable and you will learn how to do, don't be afraid to use throttle, motor props suck going to stern, so use the power to contol boat, no timid touch, lean on it. I'd tilt up a bit to keep thrust water from hitting transom.

Wait until it is windy and gusty! That's the real nut breaker! You may have to take down the canvas to get slipped. The 20 footer walkaround is a tall substantial boat especially with full canvas.

Don't ask about gusty wind and current too !

I recall being in a back-in slip with my Sailfish that was just 1 foot wider at the two pilings out front, and had to hard turn coming in at last moment due to a narrow canal. When windy took several running attempts and timed hard turn to get the stern between the poles, then I could power it all the way in once against one or the other piling even though the wind was taking me down slips at that point.

I should not complain, a guy a few slips over with a single IB diesel Albin did it too !

grady23

Reaction score
Be sure to check all the pilings for nails that others may have left. The advice about making mistakes --- That's a given. Try tilting the engine up about 20-25 Degrees. This will allow water to pass under the hull instead of up against it. Your likely already aware that single screw boats tend to "Crab" sideways when being backed. Learn to use this to YOUR advantage. NEVER try and back in with the wind --- My Grady will tend to swing very quickly when the wind catches the bow, even with twins. The spring line is a GREAT and necessary thing with finger piers. The main thing is practice. AND we all screw up. Be prepared for a few dings.