Docklines and Fenders

capeguy

Reaction score
New to me 2006 Sailfish will be arriving in a week or so, but I'm thinking I'd like to take advantage of the West Marine sale going on.

What size docklines do you Sailfish owners use? 1/2" enough or 5/8"? How about fenders?

I will be tied to a float in a tidal river that sees current of 3-4 knots mid tide. Not in a slip. I plan to leave the lines on the float once adjusted properly. These may be a bit heavier than the ones I carry on board.

Sale coupled with a gift card, so would like to do this weekend.

Thanks!

ahill

Reaction score
I use 3/4" braid at the dock. 1/2" for temporary.
I forget the fender size but bigger is better than small.
Probably the mid size at West.
Check surplus shops as you don't need new fenders.
I get mine at Dania Marine Flea Market for about 25% of new.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
G5 from taylor for the fenders.
As far as the line, the thicker the better. Personally i like a double 1/2" versus a 5/8 or 3/4. When i say double i mean two separate SAME LENGTH 1/2" lines per cleat.

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I use 1/2" braided on my Sailfish. Unless you are expecting a major blow using too heavy a line is not recommended. A heavy line has less give and puts more stress on the cleats which can lead to spider cracks on your gelcoat. The idea is to have the line strech and act as a shock absorber as well as a restrain. Best of luck with your new boat enjoy it.

Gary M

Reaction score
I think that West marine still has a "New Owner Special" that gives you discounts from 10-40% or so off on any items that you buy in the first 30 days of owning your new boat! Take your sales reciept with you when you go to stock up!!