Dodge ecodiesel for towing (and stopping) a 228?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm looking at a dodge crewcab 4wd, the towing rating is 7610 pounds. My notes below, if they are correct, say boat + trailer is about 6500 pounds.
My plan is to pull the brakes and replace with tow truck rotors/pads. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains so I go from 1800 feet to sea level, I need the truck to stop when I ask it to.

What do you guys think? Cutting it too close or good enough? I can tell you I don't drive fast, never over 50 when towing, especially downhill.

Boat - dry weight = 3510
Motor - 250HP = 562
Fuel/water = 772
Hard top w/canvas = 225
Electronics = 50
Downriggers, balls = 85
Gear = 100
Total = 5304

Trailer is probably 1200 so that puts us at 6504 which seems OK.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We obviously have different years of basically the same boat but my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer was 5,300 lbs on the scale alone and without the weight of the trailer on it. On top of that, it only had a half tank of fuel, no water and pretty minimal equipment or fishing gear aboard like 4 rods, 2 downriggers, 2 downrigger balls, a net and a few flashers/spoons. My trailer says it's 975 lbs on the registration and I've got a standard 92 gallon fuel tank without any auxiliary tank, so another 45 gallons or so of fuel at 6 lbs/gallon would add almost an extra 300 lbs of weight to the boat and put the total weight at closer to 5,600+ lbs or so just for the boat. Your boat I believe has a 114 gallon fuel tank, unknown if you have an auxiliary tank or not, but those are only going to increase the numbers even more if you've got both, and if they're both full. An extra 22 gallons of fuel would be 132 lbs more, and if you had a 50 gallon or so auxiliary tank then that's 300 lbs more on top of that. More weight if you've got a ton of gear, ice, beverages, food, bait, water and/or whatever else on top of that. Your trailer registration generally shows the weight of your trailer on it, of which different trailer styles and manufacturers have different trailer weights, etc. Basically a long story short is that you could be pretty close to 7,000+ lbs if you had everything fully loaded and whatnot, of which if you're that close to your maximum tow rating then I'd consider towing the boat with as little amount of fuel as possible and then fill it up when you get to your intended location. I'd obviously check the trailer bearings, brakes, tires and everything else on it as well as your truck before you start off. But I'm thinking you should be "fine" as long as you aren't packed to the brim with fuel, gear and everything else on top of that.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Full size truck or Dakota size? Ecodiesel is a good motor, Friend has one in full size truck. Do you have brakes on both axles of trailer? You also need to have your load level for the surge actuator to work properly. If truck sags when trailer is attached, you need to raise your hitch ball for an even load.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Full size truck or Dakota size? Ecodiesel is a good motor, Friend has one in full size truck. Do you have brakes on both axles of trailer? You also need to have your load level for the surge actuator to work properly. If truck sags when trailer is attached, you need to raise your hitch ball for an even load.
I'm assuming he means the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

Reactions: Ky Grady

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'd be most concerned about the lack of engine braking with the ecodiesel. Unless a diesel has an exhaust brake (I don't think the ecodiesel does) you practically free wheel down a hill relying on brakes only. I'd do your homework to understand that better.
Despite their size, my 2.7 and 3.5 Ecoboosts had adequate engine braking with the 248. With a gasser, there is no replacement for displacement when it comes to engine braking.

seasick

Reaction score
You might want to consider electric brakes with controller instead of surge. I think that stainless rotors are more important than being truck rotors especially if you boat in salt or brackish waters.

Since you did such a detailed breakdown on weights, I bet you looked up the motor weight. That usually doesn't include the prop:)
It also can be a smart move to not trailer with a full tank of gas, at least the long haul portion of the trip. Run as light as you can and buy gas closer to your destination.
Finally, the tow capacity of the vehicle includes load in the vehicle ( excluding you), so if you pack 500 pounds of gear in the truck, you lessen its towing capacity by 500 pounds.
Does anyone remember the Honeymooners episode about the dresser?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hardtop, box and frame is closer to 400.

When I owned a 226 with an HPDI, I had to get it scaled....with half tank of fuel it came in at 6300 on the trailer. So you are guesttimate of 6500 is pretty close.

The EcoDiesel 1500 is a beast. Should be a nice setup.

Reactions: JJMag

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
id put eoh discs on both trailer axles and have at it

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
It's a dodge ram 1500, it has disk brakes on all 4 wheels as does the trailer. I'll be upgrading to electric over hydraulic on the trailer. The truck has a tow mode button, if that works like the same button on my duramax then it engine brakes when the tow mode is on.

My personal feeling is I'll be fine so long as I'm 100% confident in the trailer brakes. All hell will break loose if those don't work, I know because the trailer surge brakes failed (fluid leaked out) and it pushed my twice as big duramax flatbed around.

Not something to take lightly.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not sure how things work down in California but up here in Washington state you can typically call up the State Patrol, tell them what's going on with the weight of the trailer, your concerns for it and your tow vehicle's towing capabilities, and then meet them at their certified semi truck scale to get the exact weight. You could probably also go to a transfer station, nursery or other similar business, give them $20 or whatnot and I'm sure they'd give you a few minutes to drive onto their scale, disconnect the truck, pull forward off the scale and see what weight you're at. That way, it's not a guessing game anymore.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I'm not sure how things work down in California but up here in Washington state you can typically call up the State Patrol, tell them what's going on with the weight of the trailer, your concerns for it and your tow vehicle's towing capabilities, and then meet them at their certified semi truck scale to get the exact weight. You could probably also go to a transfer station, nursery or other similar business, give them $20 or whatnot and I'm sure they'd give you a few minutes to drive onto their scale, disconnect the truck, pull forward off the scale and see what weight you're at. That way, it's not a guessing game anymore.
CAT scales at a truck stop, or a scrap yard

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, I can do it at the local quarry. Good idea. I'm pretty sure I'm under 7K though, I tend not to run the boat with a full tank of gas.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, I can do it at the local quarry. Good idea. I'm pretty sure I'm under 7K though, I tend not to run the boat with a full tank of gas.
Mine was 5,300 lbs with just the boat, half tank of fuel, no water and some light fishing gear/tackle. If you've got a full tank and/or anything in an a potential auxiliary tank as well as a moderate amount of tackle or other gear... with your trailer being in the 1,200 lb range like you said, you could very well be over 7,000 lbs. Post back if/when you do get it weighed, I'm definitely curious now as to what the final number will be.

Reactions: luckydude

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I haul my 228 with a 2013 f150 ecoboost. Its a perfect match.

We require electric brakes for anything over 6000 lb is here in BC so my trailer has electric/hydraulic braking and it is awesome. I wouldn't pull my boat with surge brakes. Scaled mine at 6100 on the trailer but low on fuel with no gear at all. I have never loved the look of short wheel base dodges pulling travel trailers, they do not seem to handle any amount of tongue weight. Heck even the short wheel base F150s do not tow as good as the long wheelbase.

I also just recently pulled a 5000lb boat with no brakes for 5 hours, after the brakes crapped out 4 hours from home. It was fine under normal driving and even good on the hills. But any emergency braking was very stressful...so everything would be fine, until its not.

Just my thoughts/experience.

mdscole

Reaction score
For comparison - (you've seen my boat - this is Mitch) - Mine on the trailer with half a load of fuel is 8600# as measured at the dump scales with the truck disconnected..
I have a pacific trailer rated at 10,000 pound capacity. It's fairly overkill, but purchased by the PO. The brakes are UFP 35 series disks. The biggest problem was the surge unit didn't have adequate capacity to run 4 rotors connected with that flex brake line. I'm towing with the 3/4 ton version of the dodge.

The brakes more or less didn't work very well. They were also 10 years old, corroded, and never repacked. (Vault Hubs)

I bought all new rotors from Pacific trailer and had to replace one of the calipers. Rotors are zinc washed cast iron. The zinc helps alot - but nothing lasts forever in saltwater. Went EOH with an actuator from Dexter and a brake controller from Tekonsha (90195 P3) in the truck. All this work was easily $2k just in parts. But it stops. Consistently, smoothly. Vault hubs truly are fantastic.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Lucky ,

You will find your boat on trailer will be close to or even above 7000 lb depending on gear and fuel. MIne goes very close to 7000 with gear and full tank (125 g, yours has 114 gal tank). You have a kicker that I don't have as well. The above weight is on a public calibrated weighbridge, I always weigh my boats when I fist get them. My boat is basically the same as yours but earlier model 2013.
I don't know the capabilities of the Ram, I tow with a 4X4 200 series Landcruiser and she is up to the task on similar terrain as where you are. Could I use a heavier duty tow vehicle? Definitely. I drive at 100-110 kmh (62-68 mph) on motorways and 90-100 kmh on other roads. I have an EOH actuator as it is the law here for trailers above 2000 kg ( 4400 lb). I also have full S/S kodiak brakes , all S/S rotors, calipers, brackets and the backing of the pads.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky,

My first post in a while, I towed my 228 with an EcoDiesel. Loved the torque it gave my verses my previous 8 cyl. GMC Sierra 1500.
If you can get the 3.92 transmission ratio instead of the more common 3.55, its also very helpful for towing.

Reactions: JJMag

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Lucky,

My first post in a while, I towed my 228 with an EcoDiesel. Loved the torque it gave my verses my previous 8 cyl. GMC Sierra 1500.
If you can get the 3.92 transmission ratio instead of the more common 3.55, its also very helpful for towing.
3.92 differential or axle ratio, not transmission

Reactions: leeccoll

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
It's a dodge ram 1500, it has disk brakes on all 4 wheels as does the trailer. I'll be upgrading to electric over hydraulic on the trailer. The truck has a tow mode button, if that works like the same button on my duramax then it engine brakes when the tow mode is on.

My personal feeling is I'll be fine so long as I'm 100% confident in the trailer brakes. All hell will break loose if those don't work, I know because the trailer surge brakes failed (fluid leaked out) and it pushed my twice as big duramax flatbed around.

Not something to take lightly.

My boat weighs almost double and has never once pushed my single axle RAM 2500 around, not a single blip, actually I don't even feel the boat back there while towing and stopping. You have another issue if your dully was getting pushed around by something half its size. Seems like you have all the money in the world, why risk it and undercut your performance/safety?