Does anyone have the new SHARROW propellers on their Grady white 330

Stevenwest

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have been looking into putting the new SHARROW propellers on my 2004 Grady white 330 that is powered by f300 Yamaha's and am wondering if anyone out there has them and can give real world performance information to me and the community. Sharrow propellers has test info on a number of boats with F300's on their web page but not a Grady white 330 and each boat/hull gets different benefits/performance curves from these props. These propellers have a completely different design vs regular propellers and reduce cavitation and thus give increased thrust, speed at cruising rpm, better mpg at cruise so better range, less noise at cruise, also cleaner wake so I'd assume better visibility of trolling baits/lures to the fish etc.. They are $5,000 each and are said to get like 30% better mpg at cruise so I calculate it would take < or = 4 yrs for me to get my return on investment running 100hrs a yr, with 60 hrs at cruise speed (likely less years with gas prices rising) but also you would have less strain/wear over time on the engines if you can cruise at 500-1000 less rpm standard. I hope to have my engines for 10 yrs + and hope the less strain on them will lengthen their life for me. Thanks to anyone with info.

You can see the propellers and performance reports at sharrow marine

seasick

Reaction score
There is a discussion on those props somewhere on this forum.If I remember correctly, a lot of comments questioned the actual performance claims and of course commented on the very high cost I don't recall anyone saying they had them.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The only benefits you can count on are less noise and cleaner wake. If you gain 30% at cruise, you had the wrong prop to start with. It will be more efficient somewhere, but it might not be at a speed that matters to you. If you manage to legitimately wear out a set of f300s, congratulations. You are in rare company.
If it still seems worth $10k, go for it and let us know how it goes. Someone has to be the first!

Reactions: wires38

seasick

Reaction score
The only benefits you can count on are less noise and cleaner wake. If you gain 30% at cruise, you had the wrong prop to start with.

Well said.
I would like to see an independent organization to do a apples to apples comparison.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's been a few discussions of the Sharrow props on here - and plenty around the 'net over the last couple of years. But, no, I haven't really seen anything about people running them on regular boats.

-- You won't wear out your engines in just 10 years with regular props - especially at only 100 hours a year. Not even close.

-- What if you damage the Sharrow? How much to fix it? How long till it gets done?

-- "Up to" 30% more efficient

-- Cool stuff - but way to expensive to be even remotely feasible for regular boats with regular use.

Someone please check my late night math (I guessed on the mpg fuel cost/G)...

1.2mpg @ 25MPH = 20.8GPH. 20.8GPH @ $4.50/G = $93.60/H. 60H's/season = $5,616/season.

1.56mpg (30% better) @ 25MPH = 16GPH. 16GPH @$4.50/G = $72/H. 60H's/season = $4,320/season.

Savings = $1,296/season. $10,000 / $1,296 = 7.7 seasons to break even... IF you never damage the props.

Reactions: Billv

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
There are threads here and on The Hull Tuth on Sharrow props. Seems that nobody has one. Not sure how they stay in business. At $5K each they will never catch on, even if the performance claims are accurate.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i saw your post on THT pretty early on, get ready for that to turn into a bashing thread. there is another thread on there just about sharrow that is probably around 80 pages now, mostly people that have never seen one in person arguing with someone else that has never seen one in person.

its my understanding that sharrow will do a free test on your boat. if you like the numbers, you can keep the props, if not, no big deal. this is internet rumor, not something i know to be true.

i think they will catch on, give it time. im sure there was a time people said there will never be a center console with 3 outboards. well look where we are. costs will come down, some top tier manufacturers will likely make them a factory option.

even at current prices, anyone that runs their boat as a charter would be smart to get them even if they only saved 10% on fuel.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
There's been a few discussions of the Sharrow props on here - and plenty around the 'net over the last couple of years. But, no, I haven't really seen anything about people running them on regular boats.

-- You won't wear out your engines in just 10 years with regular props - especially at only 100 hours a year. Not even close.

-- What if you damage the Sharrow? How much to fix it? How long till it gets done?

-- "Up to" 30% more efficient

-- Cool stuff - but way to expensive to be even remotely feasible for regular boats with regular use.

Someone please check my late night math (I guessed on the mpg fuel cost/G)...

1.2mpg @ 25MPH = 20.8GPH. 20.8GPH @ $4.50/G = $93.60/H. 60H's/season = $5,616/season.

1.56mpg (30% better) @ 25MPH = 16GPH. 16GPH @$4.50/G = $72/H. 60H's/season = $4,320/season.

Savings = $1,296/season. $10,000 / $1,296 = 7.7 seasons to break even... IF you never damage the props.
My head hurts, so I say your math is FINE! But there is NO PROP going to make a normally-loaded 330 Express with twin 300's get 1.56 MPG at cruise speed. Dream on...

seasick

Reaction score
One big negative for the props is that on outboards, they can be a target for theft. Since most outboards are raised when slipped, it it easy to know who has them and I would imagine that there would be a 'market' for used props. Prop theft was a big issue at one time and still may be.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
i saw your post on THT pretty early on, get ready for that to turn into a bashing thread. there is another thread on there just about sharrow that is probably around 80 pages now, mostly people that have never seen one in person arguing with someone else that has never seen one in person.

its my understanding that sharrow will do a free test on your boat. if you like the numbers, you can keep the props, if not, no big deal. this is internet rumor, not something i know to be true.

i think they will catch on, give it time. im sure there was a time people said there will never be a center console with 3 outboards. well look where we are. costs will come down, some top tier manufacturers will likely make them a factory option.

even at current prices, anyone that runs their boat as a charter would be smart to get them even if they only saved 10% on fuel.
Sounds about like what I'd expect on THT. And I'm not too terribly sure about them catching on as they've been around now for at least 4 years and still nobody seems to have one, or even knows of anyone that has one. Also, I'm not sure comparing a propeller that's close to 100x more expensive than a standard propeller would be a good comparison to a walkaround style of boat compared to a CC/DC. Especially since CC/DC styles of boats are usually a bit less than a walkaround. If the two propellers were even remotely close together in terms of pricing then I'd say sure, they'll probably catch on and become more popular, but considering you can get some propellers for between $50-$100 and the Sharrow prop is $5k? I'd think they'd have to cut their prices in half for the average boater to consider them. Now, if we're talking commercial fishing boats, or those that own charters and so forth that are trying to squeeze every penny of savings out of their costs? Sure, I'd think in a season or two if they're running hundreds of hours on their boats that they're going to make up for the initial upfront costs rather quickly. Myself being an average everyday boater that puts probably 50 or so hours on his boat every season and most of that is from trolling? It'd probably take me 10 years or more just to break even.

Finally, if you go to the Sharrow website, in the FAQ section you'll see a question about that where someone asks if they can test out one of their props...

"I would like to test the Sharrow Propeller™ on my boat and send you performance data. Can you send me a propeller?"

"Thank you for your interest in the SHARROW PROPELLER™ and also for offering your boat as a test vessel. We currently have a pool of boats and operators that we use to verify our designs and are not accepting any new applicants to that program at this time."

Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It would be tough to justify 5K for a prop not to mention dropping 10K for twins. Can't imagine hitting something and being out 10K thats is a lot of fuel savings!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In June last year it was announced that Yamaha would be producing Sharrow Propellors by casting instead of CNC. Was expecting the price to drop significantly. But it hasn’t. Wondering if Yamaha is producing for new boats rigged with Yamaha outboards only.

The attached article has a photograph of Sharrow propeller casting molds indicating the Yamaha are producing them.

seasick

Reaction score
I re-read the BoatTest article on the props an they sound great on paper. I have a few concerns about the test though; The outboard test compared a 'custom' Sharrow prop to a standard Yamaha SWS II stainless prop. There were significant performance differences but was the Sharrow that good or was the SWS II that bad? The largest performance gains were in the low end of speeds which is more in tune with diesel applications but was still something to look into for typical outboard apps. At top end speeds the performance differences were small.
The article mentioned that within two years of the agreement, they expected to be making 10,000 props a year. I wonder where those props are.
Hopefully we will be hearing more soon.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
There is a long (and as usual emotional) tread in THT with some more diagrams.
As far I understood the Sharrows will work on some boats well to very well but on other boats provide no benefit other than to be more silent.
In this moment there is no other solution than guessing and if possible have a set tested for free or a small amount on the own boat and then decide to keep it or sending it back.

It would be a tough investment for a set of two or more, but if they can reduce fuel consumption by 20% in the rpm range boat owner is usually underway and the boat is used a lot or for charter use it would be a a interesting investment.

Chris

Reactions: Gladius

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
There is a long (and as usual emotional) tread in THT with some more diagrams.
As far I understood the Sharrows will work on some boats well to very well but on other boats provide no benefit other than to be more silent.
In this moment there is no other solution than guessing and if possible have a set tested for free or a small amount on the own boat and then decide to keep it or sending it back.

It would be a tough investment for a set of two or more, but if they can reduce fuel consumption by 20% in the rpm range boat owner is usually underway and the boat is used a lot or for charter use it would be a a interesting investment.

Chris
Funny thing is even though that threads is quite long, I don't think a single person on it has a Sharrow or even knows anyone with one. So who has been buying these things? I mean, the biggest boat forum on the planet and nobody has ever seen one of these props for real???

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd imagine when they run the "test boat" with a standard prop that it probably has one on there that is nowhere near being the correct size/pitch, that way they can market even better fuel economy and performance numbers with the Sharrow prop.

seasick

Reaction score
The article I read says that the props are a better fit for vessels like commercial ones with diesel motors. I guess I can see that as a possibility. It would also explain why we ( the Grady folks) haven't seen them.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I'd imagine when they run the "test boat" with a standard prop that it probably has one on there that is nowhere near being the correct size/pitch, that way they can market even better fuel economy and performance numbers with the Sharrow prop.
Yes that is most likely the sad truth...

I don't think a single person on it has a Sharrow or even knows anyone with one
There is one user on THT who have the Sharrows and he is happy, but there are several who sent them back as no for them useful benefits where achieved.

The article I read says that the props are a better fit for vessels like commercial ones with diesel motors.
Yes, this is most likely the point, from what I have read they work well on displacement boats and most of them are professional boats where fuel economy is a concern.
Same would be for big sport fisher who do charter, but have not read of any who tried them and has first hand experience.

Chris

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Sounds about like what I'd expect on THT. And I'm not too terribly sure about them catching on as they've been around now for at least 4 years and still nobody seems to have one, or even knows of anyone that has one. Also, I'm not sure comparing a propeller that's close to 100x more expensive than a standard propeller would be a good comparison to a walkaround style of boat compared to a CC/DC. Especially since CC/DC styles of boats are usually a bit less than a walkaround. If the two propellers were even remotely close together in terms of pricing then I'd say sure, they'll probably catch on and become more popular, but considering you can get some propellers for between $50-$100 and the Sharrow prop is $5k? I'd think they'd have to cut their prices in half for the average boater to consider them. Now, if we're talking commercial fishing boats, or those that own charters and so forth that are trying to squeeze every penny of savings out of their costs? Sure, I'd think in a season or two if they're running hundreds of hours on their boats that they're going to make up for the initial upfront costs rather quickly. Myself being an average everyday boater that puts probably 50 or so hours on his boat every season and most of that is from trolling? It'd probably take me 10 years or more just to break even.

Finally, if you go to the Sharrow website, in the FAQ section you'll see a question about that where someone asks if they can test out one of their props...

"I would like to test the Sharrow Propeller™ on my boat and send you performance data. Can you send me a propeller?"

"Thank you for your interest in the SHARROW PROPELLER™ and also for offering your boat as a test vessel. We currently have a pool of boats and operators that we use to verify our designs and are not accepting any new applicants to that program at this time."
what kind of $50-100 prop are you putting on your boat? i would say the average cost of a SS prop that most in the target segment of boaters use is between $400 and $900. nobody considering a sharrow would consider a $50 prop. claiming that they cost 100x is really cherry picking your comparison points.

Reactions: GH236

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The same people on THT said about the same thing, with the same lack of first hand knowledge, about the Toyota Prius, and subsequent hybrids and EVS.

Companies like Boat Test, and the boating magazines, list their test prop specs clearly. I don't think they are going to risk their credibility by dogging the base line tests with props that are "nowhere near being the correct size/pitch".

Last edited:
Reactions: GH236