Does Rising Gas Prices Matter?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes, I know it matters..

At 16GPH on my Gulfstream, at $4:00/gallon it costs me $64.00 per hour to run the rig.
Combine that with the 9-11 MPG of my Cummins towing it, the statistics become rather sobering.
Anyone else gonna cut back on their boating/fishing or are we all saying "Screw It, I'm Gonna Live My Life.."

Just interested what your all's consensus is.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I burn close to 20 gallons per hour and paid $4:70 per gallon last week....
It sucks.... but I love my boat and love to fish....
I did switch marinas this year, paying alittle more for the slip, to be closer to my particular fishing grounds.
Since I have about the same money to spend as last year, I am going to cut back on a vacation this year (we did three major ones last year) to offset the fuel. Also I will be more cautious about just up and running out for long tuna trips and try to focus and only go when I have first hand reports.....
Probally fluke fish a little closer to the marina too......
Tim

Reel Soon

Reaction score
Probably less trips offshore trolling, only take people that can afford to chip in for gas. Alot more inshore fishing. It's the point, when are the price increases going to stop? Reduce demand and prices will go down. :mrgreen:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Depends at what point it stops and stays at, price changes occur twice a week now.

Hope the replacement administration does soemthing about it, the current one is useless.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The administration can't do much to effect the screwing we're getting. Congress has to put forth the changes and they're a bunch of screaming idiots. They're putting forth legislation to sue OPEC over the gas prices. Ahh, they don't set the price of oil the speculators do and nothing is being done to keep them in check. When the specualtors can raise the $ because of a piddlence suppiler like Nigeria over and over again (even though Saudi is INCREASING output) something is wrong. As an added kick in the nads our oil companies are making record profits and still able to get huge tax rebates. Why is ALaska oil going to Japan instead of here so we can ease some of the pain from OPEC and the specualtors?

The problem started a couple year ago when the price went above $2 and we just paid it. Now they realize they can put the screws to us and we take it.

There will be less long "joy" trips but I'll still get out.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Yesterday morning Diesel was at two stations at $5.09 a gallon, when I went by the same two gas stations in the afternoon, the diesel cost was $5.25 a gallon. Same day. wow, gas is now well over $4 bucks a gallon for 87 reg. Its going up from here. :shock:

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I will not run the trips to the gut to check out the bite near as often as I've done in the past.

As far as prices go all the Politicians "lawyers" are to blame for this fiasco over the years for not allowing oil companies to do what they do best.

GET OIL....

Brad1

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I say screw it, you only go around once and boating / fishing is one of my favorite activities and I don't get to go alot as it is. On the other hand, when I stop and think about the price of gas, I wonder whether or not I should put the boat up for sale. One thing that works against me is that I have to drive 145 miles one way just to use my Grady (I keep it stored on a trailer close to where the ramp is). For me, that's about 17 gallons just getting to / from the boat. But then during the week, I drive a compact car or commute to work on my motorcycle to save gas money. My wife's fuel is 100% paid for by her company and we get a discount on gas locally through the grocery store we shop at. Having two growing boys, we spend alot on groceries, so in just 2 weeks, I already had 69 cents off per gallon.

So like I said, I really have mixed feelings on what to do. My biggest concern is the price of gas 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now. Hey, if it's still $4 10 years from now, I will have gotten used to it by then. At least I hope so. But if it's $10 a gallon 10 years from now, boating will be a thing of the past for me. But I'm sure I'll still have my boat then because who would want to buy one if gas is $10 gallon.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
My boat burns 9-10 gph at cruise running 27-30mph. Being that I am in the Chesapeake Bay I rarely run more than 20-30 miles/. While trolling, the boat burns 0.3-0.5gph - yes 2-3 hours to burn a gallon of fuel (Four stroke owners are envious of this statistic with the DFI's). Most my full day fishing trips burn less than 20 gal each day. Where else can i have that kind of fun for so little money? Of course having a mod v allows the powering of a full 25'6" hull with single to get those economy numbers but my days of owning deep v twin engine boats are over. I enjoy boating a lot more now and while I get concerned over rising fuel prices for other aspects of my life, it doenst have a huge impact on my boating.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The entire county is being pulled down into a hole, fuel prices effect everything there is. I expect elected officials to do what they are paid for.

Do whatever it takes to get the fuel prices under control. Right now it is out of control.

SlimJim

Reaction score
B-Faithful said:
My boat burns 9-10 gph at cruise running 27-30mph. Being that I am in the Chesapeake Bay I rarely run more than 20-30 miles/. While trolling, the boat burns 0.3-0.5gph - yes 2-3 hours to burn a gallon of fuel (Four stroke owners are envious of this statistic with the DFI's). Most my full day fishing trips burn less than 20 gal each day. Where else can i have that kind of fun for so little money? Of course having a mod v allows the powering of a full 25'6" hull with single to get those economy numbers but my days of owning deep v twin engine boats are over. I enjoy boating a lot more now and while I get concerned over rising fuel prices for other aspects of my life, it doenst have a huge impact on my boating.
You might think about keeping her. Its an awesome boat and good on gas.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I will probalby cut down on off shore trips and anchor more. at least we will be on the water.
One way to bring down the price of oil from our OPEC friends is to cease all military arms shipments to them.
Someone gave me an interesting analogy today. They said this might be the the new terror war. Rather than crashing planes into buildings they are trying to cripple the economy so we end up like the old Soviet Union. These prices will have severe impacts on all parts of the economy - particularly the marine industry. As sectors collapse the domino effect will begin to compound.
To much about politics lets get back to baoting. Memorial Day is here and the weather is going to break in the Northeast

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yeah, I'm not interested in the political aspect of it all. They're all blaming each other, Bush says "there's no quick fix,"(Which is what he says for every problem that has happened in his 8 years.)

My main interest is how much everyone will boat this summer..
Maybe I just need affirmation from everyone that it's OK to untie the lines like normal....
Seriously, I'm not ready to quit yet..It'll just get worse, and then we'll wish we'd kept goin' awhile longer anyway.

jehines3

Reaction score
I went to Annapolis on Wed to watch the Blue angles. Burned 35.5 gallons for the day according to the floscan. I will be running at 6 knts to allot of places this season. Even with the new bottom, no out riggers, and no tower, I've improved my economy by 20-25%, but I still won't run like last season. jh

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Won't stop me, just need to always have a crew with me...no more fishing solo. I'll still be running the canyon with a big grin knowning an overnighter will cost me under $300 a guy even if gas goes to $5, right now it is $4. I burn 18-20gph depending on what speeds I run, my optimal cruise is more like 16gph but that is too slow for me and all the power my boat has :D . Already made 11 trips and the boat has only been in 25 days.

wilson

Reaction score
i bought my radar on sale last fall for $975, right now a full tank will cost $800. i will get alot of trailer time this season.

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
I am not going down without a fight, but at some point, enough will have to be enough.

As it stands right now I could go out with a guide twice a month for the same money it's taking to have the boat.

Dang, why'd I have to put that in print.....

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
The news media is all over this topic. While @ Lees Ford Marina @ Lake Cumberland on Sunday I had a news crew from a Lexington, KY TV station interview me about the price of gas. They were there filming for about an hourall over the marina. Don't know if I ended up on the editing room floor as I didn't watch the 11 O'clock news that night.