Does trolling shorten the life of a 2 stroke enigne??

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just wondering how trolling speed affects the engines. I have heard opinions of some others that it is bad to troll with a lrage outboard.

I would think it would not be an issue as higher speeds create more friction and would have more engine wear. But cant seem to find any real facts.

ahill

Reaction score
Slow speed on a Yamaha fouls th O2 sensor and can cause problems. I have been told to troll on one engine at a higher rpm to alleviate problem.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Good fuel and good oil and you shouldn't have a problem with your Evinrude. I have over 2k hours on my 200 Hp and I troll for hours on end with it.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have over 750 hours on my 225hp OX66 without any probloems. I make sure that I use the recommended amount of ring-free at all times and have never had a problem.

There's usually a 50 plus mile ride back home after trolling so that cleans out any carbon buildup that could occur while trolling (my opionion).

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just some more info...

I switched to yamalube @ 250hrs after having the engine checked by evinrude mechanic. I had it checked because I got it used with 250hrs on it when I got the grady. Except for a small leak in the fuel bracket, the mech gave the engine an a+. Since then I only use mid grade gas 89oct. Decarb with sea foam every 50-60 hours and new plugs after second decarb. I also add a can of seafoam to every 30 gal of gas, also I use the ethanol additive from of sta-bil . I did over 90 hours of trolling out of the 170 hrs I put on the engine last year. I am hoping this method along with anal maintenance of the engine will produce many years of happy performance. But am still putting money away for a repower if needed one day.
Just wanted to see if there was any real evidence to the opinion that some of the local boaters telling me that trolling will destroy my engine.

wanderer200

Reaction score
Trolling only hurts a 2-stroke if it is not properly jetted at idle, either too rich or too lean, or another problem causing either condition. On carbed motors the jets are not changeable so what you got is what you got. There is a narrow band where the motor is at its optimum burn at any given rpm. Air temp plays a huge roll in changing where that band is. The factory puts you in the middle of the range and is good enough but not optimum at the ends of the range. Computerized/injected, through all the sensors, keeps you in the optimum range by constantly adjusting.
OR, say your water pump was old or your cooling system slightly restricted. It may be fine in upper rpm`s cause your spinning fast and pushing some water, but at idle is where its weakest and may lead to a hot cylinder.
Hope that made sense, I`m tired.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've got a follow up question regarding trolling...I'm usually about 1700 or 1800 RPN while trolling. This is much faster than idling. Is anyone trolling at a speed where you're near idle??

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My idle rpms are about 1000, I troll along at 2-3 mph at idle but if doing against the wins/current I have to bump it upto about 1300-1500 rmp.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
My idle rpms are about 1000, I troll along at 2-3 mph at idle but if doing against the wins/current I have to bump it upto about 1300-1500 rmp.

What type of fishing are you doing at that speed?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Strikezone said:
I've got a follow up question regarding trolling...I'm usually about 1700 or 1800 RPN while trolling. This is much faster than idling. Is anyone trolling at a speed where you're near idle??

We'll troll 800-1000 RPM's quite often inshore for barracuda, yellowtail, etc. We can do that all day long without any issues. Offshore for tuna we're up at 1800-2100 RPM, again with no issues. Pushing 1600 hours on the motor now. (Knocking on wood as I type this)

Seahunter

Reaction score
Strikezone said:

Between 900-1100 rpm, 8-10 hours a day, while trolling the Striped ones.
Evinrude XD50 oil and good old 87 octane.

Seahunter

Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
Just some more info...

I switched to yamalube @ 250hrs after having the engine checked by evinrude mechanic. I had it checked because I got it used with 250hrs on it when I got the grady. Except for a small leak in the fuel bracket, the mech gave the engine an a+. Since then I only use mid grade gas 89oct. Decarb with sea foam every 50-60 hours and new plugs after second decarb. I also add a can of seafoam to every 30 gal of gas, also I use the ethanol additive from of sta-bil . I did over 90 hours of trolling out of the 170 hrs I put on the engine last year. I am hoping this method along with anal maintenance of the engine will produce many years of happy performance. But am still putting money away for a repower if needed one day.
Just wanted to see if there was any real evidence to the opinion that some of the local boaters telling me that trolling will destroy my engine.
Your in serious over kill mode. I run XD-50 which has a carbon guard in the formualtion. No need for additional carbon treatments.
If I decarbed to your schedule I'd be doing it once a week during the season. I do mine once a year for good luck although I most likely don't need to. Right before I put in the water in the Spring
You can save some green by running 87 octane fuel as well. The ocatane rating has nothing to do with fuel quiality. Octane is a combustion inhibitor that is only required in motors with high compression ratios to stop pre-ignition problems. A carbureted 2 stroke outboard does fall under this category.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
strike, my thoughts were like yours when i read those slow trolling speeds of 1 or 2 mph..what are they chasing? makes sense since those are coldwater fish and swim slower than what we chase in the warm waters. i wouldnt think trolling would damage a 2 stroke. your rpms vary throughout the day and if you run an hour or so to the sweet spot, troll for a few hours and then run back like others mention it seems any carbon fouling or carb jet problems would be cleared out when you run.

3rd Day

Reaction score
I troll on 1 engine at about 1700-1800 rpms. This puts my speed at 5-7 mph. I will run for an hour and switch over to the other engine and at the end of the day, the ride home at 3600-3800-rpms is 20-50 miles so i'm thinking what little build up is gone. And then after clearing the jetties, I'll usually wind them up to 4500 rpms for a few minutes and then back to cruising speed. This works for me and is just a suggestion. Good fishing.

Amigo

Reaction score
Trolling for walleye, which I do a couple of weeks each year, trolling speed will range from 2 - 2.5 MPH.

Trolling for salmon, which I also do, is a bit faster at 2.4 to 2.8 MPH.

I fish with a Johnson 115 HP 1992 engine. A few years back I put 1,200 GPS miles on the engine/boat in one year with a average speed of 4 MPH. Sea Foam is used about 3 times per year. If she strarts running a bit rough at trolling speed she straightens right up after after a can of Seafoam. I use Pennzoil blend (part synthetic) oil. There is very little smoke from the engine.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
While we're at it, is a 4-stroke able to idle longer without potential problems than a 2-stroke?

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When trolling I watch speed more than RPM 6 - 9 MPH and so far had good luck with the Johnson and the fish. Fuel use is another thing.
Pull up to the pump fill up with the plastic cry a little. It only hurts once a month.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have variable oil injection, you aren't harming the motor (but don't forget to treat the carbon biuld-up). The only problem with idling a 2 stroke is you're puking out as much gas as you're burning.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
OK..Reason I asked is that if I ever want to run,say, the Erie Canal and idle for hours,maybe days, is that harmful to my 200 4-strokes?