Dog Access

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Acquired a dog last year, he is approximately 80lbs and this will be our first summer with him. No issues where we are slipped, but we often will overnight at Cuttyhunk island which does not have floating docks. Wondering what options are for getting the dog on and off the boat. Boat is a Grady 330 express with twin OB, and we typically dock stern in. Due to tides the height of dock can be almost 4 feet taller than the deck of boat. Did a search to see what others use, but have not come up with any ideas. Spending $1000 or so is not in budget, looking for something much simpler. Thought process is like a 2x12 going from dock to top of transom fish box but that seems too risky/unbalanced.

Even with a handle, dog will be way more than I can lift up that high.

Any other experience or ideas for overnighting with dogs is appreciated, this is our first rodeo.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Leave him on the boat. My last boat my dog would stay 3 days and nights on the boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think you're on the right track. Securing the plank (best you can, anyways) at the DOCK end would probably be good. Some thick rubber or dense foam under the end of plank where it would contact the dock should help to keep it from slipping. You could install some quick release brackets/pins on the boat and the boat end of the plank - but you wouldn't want those to be in the way under normal use. Plus, you might be different distances away from the dock at some times and the dock end of the plank may extend too far, or not far enough, onto the dock if the boat end was fixed. Paint the plank with truck bed anti-slip or stick-on anti-slip strips.

I might make it out of 1/2" plywood with two 2x3 runners under each side for stiffness - but it would be lighter, overall. The 2x's don't need to extend end to end. 2/3 to 3/4 of the length is plenty. With the plywood, you could make it wider, too. You might make it wide enough to fit between the engines (or at least wider just at the area between the engines)... which would help hold it in place. Put some noodles or pipe insulation over the edge.

Another thing you could do (if needed) is to put a 2x3 perpendicular to the ramp, at the dock end, underneath. That would add stability.

Half round molding could be added as "grips", going across the ramp, if there will be times when it's steep (truck bed coating, again, will be fantastic).

In the end, there isn't one best way - try it out... alter if you need to.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Dogs are more capable than you may think at getting on off. First and inflatable is likely out, nails are going to be a problem. I'd get to the swim ladder and have someone get off and open the transom door (assuming you have one) and show the way for the dog. Mine just jumps out and on the boat. At the dock she could jump the gunnel and land on the deck of the cockpit from the finger. Not sure what I'll do later in life as she is 65lbs or more now.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks. No way to just show dog way. It is actually a bit of a challenge for us to climb up the ladder. No way for a dog, hence the questions. We will only need this a couple weekends a year, and he is already 9, so don't know how much longer he'll be with us. FWIW - I have to lift him up to get him in the back of our Subaru Outback.

@DennisG01 the plywood torsion box is definitely a thought. That does seem to address most of the potential issues including cost.

@Pighunter I don't think he'd be happy left alone, but to play along, what is your solution for handling his elimination needs in that case?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
A ramp off the back may be the best idea. Use it all the time so he gets used to it.

Get a rubber backed carpet runner from Costco for the cockpit. Large dogs slide around in the boat like they are on ice. My 110 lb Chesapeake is spooked now and won't get on the boat. Commadore Barney doing what he does best...

Mr. B.jpeg

Reactions: kirk a

Pighunter

Reaction score
Thanks. No way to just show dog way. It is actually a bit of a challenge for us to climb up the ladder. No way for a dog, hence the questions. We will only need this a couple weekends a year, and he is already 9, so don't know how much longer he'll be with us. FWIW - I have to lift him up to get him in the back of our Subaru Outback.

@DennisG01 the plywood torsion box is definitely a thought. That does seem to address most of the potential issues including cost.

@Pighunter I don't think he'd be happy left alone, but to play along, what is your solution for handling his elimination needs in that case?
Washdown hose right out the scuppers!

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I have a 80lb Black Lab, his name is Grady. We use this to "pull" him up on the swim ladder. Then he is able to climb over the transom himself.