Dogs on Boats

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Any hints on getting dogs used to being on a boat?
Just got a pup and would love to get her comfortable on the boat with me.....

IMG00118.jpg

sharkboy

Reaction score
Always take them somewhere that they love. We take ours to an island where he can run and chase birds, and he never hesitates to get right in the boat. Also helps to have a mat or cushon that he can get a grip on with his claws.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion........she looks comfortable in the pic.........but didn't move when I put her on the deck.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have three poms, two younger and one older. The younger ones adapted readily, they walk around the cabin, and are at ease. If it gets really rough they will get sick after an hour or so of it. One of them loves water and will jump in if prompted if you're in the water. In the beginning I worried about them jumping off but that hasn't happened in three years so I guess there's no need to worry. They don't wear lifejackets, I figure I would us the fish net if necessary.

The older one will sit on a mat or carpet square and not move. He's nervous on the docks too. But he's starting to perk up, he likes to get up where he can see out, and he's a lot more relaxed onboard. I think they do get more used to it over time as it becomes more familiar to them.

If you have a young dog and go often they will definitely adapt to it.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Our dog loves the boat when we slow cruise. She is not afraid to wander up front and sit with her nose in the air. When it's rough or when I lean on it a little, she get's distressed andputs her tail between her legs. She then looks at me the same way she does when I have stop quickly in the car.

We have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting in between the helm seats fastened to the deck with snaps. This is where she feels most comfortable when I'm up on plane. Don't get the kind with rubber backing, the salt with break it down quickly.

We also have a "snuggle Ball" (I think from Orvis) in the cabin. She has one at home also and I think it helps her relax.

Treats, water and a can of food as a back up for emergencies.

We are always aware of how long we are out and she takes care of her business before and immediately after we return.

She does not jump from the boat to the dock anymore. One time, she slipped and wound up in the water. luckily, I was right beside her. She has never tried since. The deck, for a dog, is really slippery hence the carpet at the helm.

We never leave the dock without her and it wouldn't seam right if we did.

Reaction score
If the dog loves you, it will love the boat!

I just introduced my Springer Spaniel to the boat this summer, and she loves it now. However at first, she did not like the floating dock or the boat. The more I brought her on board, caught fish, and let her swim after ducks, the more she fell in love with the boat! Enjoy!

ovidgsd

Reaction score
is there boating with out the dog??? ;)

not worth it IMO ;)

sounds like your puppy is afraid on the deck, so you may need to add some removable carpet - or rubber matts - this way the puppy feels secure. Of course, get him/her used to the boat while still at the dock/mooring.

hope this helps.......

Grady Hunter

Reaction score
Just be certain that the puppy has something soft to lay on. If they lay on the deck it can hurt them if you are banging the waves. Our dogs loved the boat. As they have gotten older, though, they would rather stay home and lay under a tree.

midnight-rider

Reaction score
Bring something that already has their sent on it

My two dogs had a large blue bath towel that they would sit on in my truck 's seat. Whenwe went on my 20' overnighter I would spread it on the v-berth and let them get comfortable with the boat. When we did leave the dick they would automaticly go to there towel and lay down. as soon as the boat slowed down they would come out and look around. It didn't take long for them to adapt.

tilewave

Reaction score
my dog fell off the dock once & had a hard time getting him in. he now wears a harness that has a handle at the top. it makes lifting a dog out of the water easier. it gives you something to grab, kinda like lifting a peice of luggage

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All great ideas. You just have to make them comfy.

For lake boating and harbor cruising we got a comple of big bath mats from walfart to cover the cockpit. Everybody loves 'em. They even match the boat. A nice fleece blanket to cover a birth cushion and they can camp out in the cabin if they want.

One of our dogs (the smart female one) did our only overnighter on this boat. She's a natural. The other two (stupid males) not so much. But they like to go and one of them loves to swim. All three are pomeranians. A white one, a black one, and a red/orange one.

Below is a pic of our little rescue guy. When he first started going he wouldn't leave the entry mat. You know, we all have one that says 'WELCOME ABOARD'. Now he gets up on the aft seat and takes a good gander and enjoys the scenery. He's about 7 or 8. The other two are younger.

When we're lobstering or fishing the mats just roll up and the baitwell bolts in. Presto-chango... :mrgreen:

This is "Bucky"

bucky.jpg

Here's "Gracie", she's the smart one... :wink:

DSC02180.jpg

And "Tigger", the swimmer! He's on his 'surf board'.

Tigger.jpg

The freakin' house is a menagerie. :twisted: