Dolphin Diesel

Courtenay guy

Reaction score
Just joined the site,looks like alot of good info here!

I am very close to buying a 1993 25ft Dolphin that was repower in 2000 with a 300hp Yanmar and Bravo2 leg with just under 400 hr's.

Reason I want this rig is for the motor,cost of running compaired to twin 200 OB,wich I cant afford!

I hav'nt sea trialed yet so not sure what to expect for speed and fuel burn,anybody know?
How do they handle with the weight of the deisel?

Allso being a 1993 hull.Is this a SeaV2?
And I cant seem to find how big the fuel tanks are in this model?

Any other info would be great!

Thanks

Amigo

Reaction score
I have a 25 ft. Sailfish (1988) with a 454 CI, 7.4 liter, Mercruiser GM big block. It drives a Bravo 1. I don't know how much it weighs but it is a heavey combo. It's not the fastest out of the hole but it is respectible.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yanmar has a reputation of being pretty bullet proof. If your engine is the straight six cylinder with turbo, it weighs, according to the Yanmar web site, somewhere near 900 lbs, about the same as twin 200 four stroke Yammies. Yes, the '93 has the newer hull.

Courtenay guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's.It all looks good,the owner said it burns around 6gal per hour at 20-22mph and tops out shy of 30mph.Allso needs trim tabs to get up on plane faster...this will be hard to get use to after running a 20ft O/B boat!

Amigo

Reaction score
Yes, you will need trim tabs based on my experience with my I/O. The performance numbers shown are about equal to my 454 gas engine except for GPH. I cruise at 22 - 23 MPH with 12 gallons per hour.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One thing you must remember is that diesel engines, especially with a turbo, need air....LOTS of air. And they need exhaust....LOTS of exhaust. Since this is a diesel refit, you might want to have a knowledgeable person look at the set up to make sure it is good to go.