Dome light switch fix help

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Does anyone know how to remove the dome light to access and replace the spreader light switch? I’ve removed the cover and the 2 small nuts. The light is still solid as a rock and I don’t know what’s holding it on.

Attachments

• 6BACF3D3-9D42-4F28-8040-BDFCD67BCCF2.jpeg
    6BACF3D3-9D42-4F28-8040-BDFCD67BCCF2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • E4C75A71-E5E3-480E-89A5-4CCFD291650A.jpeg
    E4C75A71-E5E3-480E-89A5-4CCFD291650A.jpeg
    807 KB · Views: 64

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
It should just pop off. If you have the cash, I highly recommend getting the latest and greatest by lumitec and swapping it out. Why? My boat is an 08 that I bought new in 09. I have replaced those crappy switches 3 times and then said enough. I called Grady to buy a new fixture. They said they now use an all LED touch switch. You just touch part of the lens to activate the light or spreaders. Now here is the cool part . It has 5 brightness levels for both white and red LED light. The spreaders are touch too and in three years of having that light it has been flawless ,plus I got rid of two bulbs to change too.

Now what if I told you this was all true because it is? Now what if I told you 3 years ago that was like a $150 item? Sure , you say I am crazy for buying an OEM spec Grady part , but for this boater, it was worth every penny spent. If you got the coin it's worth the price. I also switched out my spreader lights. I bought some Taco ones from West Marine. They were cheap and mostly function ok. I am going to switch them to lumitec ones that are smaller and better. Again, less current draw, no bulbs to go out . Good luck .

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It should just pop off. If you have the cash, I highly recommend getting the latest and greatest by lumitec and swapping it out. Why? My boat is an 08 that I bought new in 09. I have replaced those crappy switches 3 times and then said enough. I called Grady to buy a new fixture. They said they now use an all LED touch switch. You just touch part of the lens to activate the light or spreaders. Now here is the cool part . It has 5 brightness levels for both white and red LED light. The spreaders are touch too and in three years of having that light it has been flawless ,plus I got rid of two bulbs to change too.

Now what if I told you this was all true because it is? Now what if I told you 3 years ago that was like a $150 item? Sure , you say I am crazy for buying an OEM spec Grady part , but for this boater, it was worth every penny spent. If you got the coin it's worth the price. I also switched out my spreader lights. I bought some Taco ones from West Marine. They were cheap and mostly function ok. I am going to switch them to lumitec ones that are smaller and better. Again, less current draw, no bulbs to go out . Good luck .
I finally got the light off and changed out the switch. This new light sounds awesome? Do you have the model number ?

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I finally got the light off and changed out the switch. This new light sounds awesome? Do you have the model number ?

I am equally curious about this, there are plenty of dome lights and touch lights but I have yet to see another one which also controls the spreaders.

The model on lumitec's website doesn't talk about spreader control.

To answer the original question - I have the same light on my pro-line and one switch was getting flaky. I had two screws attaching it to the electronics box and the light fell right off. I have a feeling yours is just stuck on from the gasket. Try a plastic putty knife at the edge.

PS: a little wd-40 in the switch did the trick.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Gentlemen, that's why you need to call your local Grady White Dealer. They can order it. I too looked around the web and you can find a lumitec one like at West Marine and it's blue and white and no spreader switch. Lumitec makes the light exclusively for Grady. Your dealer can order it for you. I typically use either Mid Carolina Marine in Columbia or Seeles in Charleston. Use the dealer nearest you of course to order it from Grady. Since I live in hills, I paid for the order over the phone and Grady drop shipped it to my house. The solid state LED driver is sealed and there are no exposed wires in the fixture. It's pretty bomb proof in terms of corrosion and vibration.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I am equally curious about this, there are plenty of dome lights and touch lights but I have yet to see another one which also controls the spreaders.

The model on lumitec's website doesn't talk about spreader control.

To answer the original question - I have the same light on my pro-line and one switch was getting flaky. I had two screws attaching it to the electronics box and the light fell right off. I have a feeling yours is just stuck on from the gasket. Try a plastic putty knife at the edge.

PS: a little wd-40 in the switch did the trick.
Spot on. The gasket was stuck on there like you wouldn’t believe. Got it off and replaced the switch, back in business !

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Gentlemen, that's why you need to call your local Grady White Dealer. They can order it. I too looked around the web and you can find a lumitec one like at West Marine and it's blue and white and no spreader switch. Lumitec makes the light exclusively for Grady. Your dealer can order it for you. I typically use either Mid Carolina Marine in Columbia or Seeles in Charleston. Use the dealer nearest you of course to order it from Grady. Since I live in hills, I paid for the order over the phone and Grady drop shipped it to my house. The solid state LED driver is sealed and there are no exposed wires in the fixture. It's pretty bomb proof in terms of corrosion and vibration.

My one experience with my local dealer trying to get some parts help was less than satisfactory, and of course things a bit crazier these days.

Do you happen to have a _grady_ part number for that, or at least a specific make/model/year where this light is available? A photo would be great, too!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Anytime you get the chance to replace with LED go for it!
You can buy LED bulbs that directly replace the incandescent originals. They last forever and use a fraction of the wattage saving your batteries.
All my switches are now on a Bluesea panel which has been flawless .

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You can buy LED bulbs that directly replace the incandescent originals. They last forever and use a fraction of the wattage saving your batteries.
All my switches are now on a Bluesea panel which has been flawless .

Having done a fair bit of night fishing with a boat with this same dome light installed - it really is nice to have the dome light with the switches on it. The left switch operates the dome, right operates the spreaders, and that's easily distinguished without taking one hand off the wheel or your eyes off the horizon. Running towards my inlet (with lots of light pollution) I'd occasionally flash my spreaders to make sure boats farther away saw me running.

But yes, I swapped my bulbs out for LED long ago. Since the actual fixture isn't available anymore, everyone interested in a replacement of the whole thing.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My one experience with my local dealer trying to get some parts help was less than satisfactory, and of course things a bit crazier these days.

Do you happen to have a _grady_ part number for that, or at least a specific make/model/year where this light is available? A photo would be great, too!

Hi Flot,
I don't have the part number. However, if you call Seels Outboard in Charleston,SC they are a Grady dealer worth their salt. Ask for Nancy and that lady is awesome. She will get the part and a price for you. Their number is +1 843-556-2742. They will ship the light to you or have Grady drop ship it. On the outside it looks like your light, except it has no black switches. It fits in the same area exactly like the old light.

Grande

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Greetings from a new member,

I hope this thread is still alive. I have the seemingly simple problem of wanting to replace the red bulb in the dome. How do you access it? How do you remove the lens/cover without breaking it? (As pictured earlier) Do you remove the entire fixture or just the opaque plastic part? Thanks for any assistance!

JP

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Greetings from a new member,

I hope this thread is still alive. I have the seemingly simple problem of wanting to replace the red bulb in the dome. How do you access it? How do you remove the lens/cover without breaking it? (As pictured earlier) Do you remove the entire fixture or just the opaque plastic part? Thanks for any assistance!

JP
Carefully pry the lense cover off with a flat head

Grande

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Carefully pry the lense cover off with a flat head
Thanks for that! It worked. Unfortunately it led to another problem. I thought I needed a new bulb but not the case. There are 2 like bulbs (one has a red cove) and a 3 position switch. One works fine and voltmeter indicates 12 volts at the socket. The other (red) does not work and it’s socket indicates 1.5 volts. Both bulbs work fine in socket #1. Any idea what I’m dealing with? Bad switch? Socket? What should be my next step? Thanks in advance for advice. Should I replace it all with LEDs?

trackah

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue plus my spreader lights are not working would like to k kw how you made out.

Thx

Grande

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I have the exact same issue plus my spreader lights are not working would like to k kw how you made out.

Thx
I deduced that there was likely corrosion and poor contact within the switch from salt environment and lack of use. Audibly, the 3-position switch clicked and sounded ok. So, I sprayed WD-40 into the switch, then 99% alcohol. After operating the switch several times it simply started working again! I'll probably order a replacement switch anyway and have already ordered LED replacement bulbs (912). BTW: Be careful removing the plastic lens cover. It's stubborn but will come off. I used a small precision screwdriver. Good luck.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think that the smaller the screwdriver, the more you concentrate the pressure on one point, and increase the likelihood of a crack. My theory would be to spread the load.

Grande

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
By any chance does anyone know the part number for the 3-position white/red, courtesy/dome light switch? DigiKey has several Judco switches that all look the same but have different part #s. Thanks.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Digikey has both the spreader light switch and the courtesy light switch. The spreader light switch is only $2.02 - which is higher amperage rated while the courtesy light switch is $12.09. Probably an old stock vs. new stock issue. I would order a few spreader switches and maybe 2 courtesy light switches since it won't increase your shipping cost.

I'm not real happy with Judco boot. They restrict the switch and sometimes I have to click on/off several times. You may want to get a few in you ordered for shipping. I would look locally and try other boots. You need a medium length.

512PB-ND 10-amp SPST for spreader lights

40-4325-00 Judco Manufacturing Inc. | Switches | DigiKey

Order today, ships today. 40-4325-00 – Pushbutton Switch SPST Standard Panel Mount, Rear from Judco Manufacturing Inc.. Pricing and Availability on millions of electronic components from Digi-Key Electronics.
www.digikey.com
www.digikey.com

522PB-ND 2-amp SPDT for alternating red or clear courtesy light

40-3657-00 Judco Manufacturing Inc. | Switches | DigiKey

Order today, ships today. 40-3657-00 – Pushbutton Switch SPDT Standard Panel Mount, Rear from Judco Manufacturing Inc.. Pricing and Availability on millions of electronic components from Digi-Key Electronics.
www.digikey.com
www.digikey.com

532PB-ND Switch boot

19-1082-01 Judco Manufacturing Inc. | Switches | DigiKey

Order Judco Manufacturing Inc. 19-1082-01 (532PB-ND) at DigiKey. Check stock and pricing, view product specifications, and order online.
www.digikey.com
www.digikey.com

523PB-ND This is a On-Momentary switch. THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT!

40-2531-01 Judco Manufacturing Inc. | Switches | DigiKey

Order today, ships today. 40-2531-01 – Pushbutton Switch SPDT Standard Panel Mount, Rear from Judco Manufacturing Inc.. Pricing and Availability on millions of electronic components from Digi-Key Electronics.
www.digikey.com
www.digikey.com

Last edited:
Reactions: brian bunk

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Thanks for Judco Details Hook-up