Dome light

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My dome light has failed so I need a replacement . We have a dealer here but they are useless.

I contacted Lumitec and they advised that West Marine sell them, if they don't have them they can order from Lumitec .
I'm not so sure, if I ordered one from West marine it will be the correct light as they don't have one in stock so I can see a photo,
I can get one from a GW dealer in Wilmington ( Atlantic Marine) . The problem is they don't want to ship to AU .
I'm trying to find a dealer that may want to ship to AU to no avail so far.
I wonder if one of you guys would be happy to ship it to me.
Of course I will order it pay the dealer for it and have it posted to you. What you will have to do is address it to me and post it . You can tell me before hand what it will cost and I'll pay you via Paypal family and friends before you post it, I will include a few beers for your troubles ( $$ not actually beers).
I will keep trying to have it posted direct so this is a last resort.
If anyone is willing to help you can post here or PM .

Thanks in advance .

If any one wants to know the price is: $168.75 for the 3 wire touch switch LED, the third wire does the spreader lights.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wrxhoon, I remember when you bought your boat. It was right near me here in Florida. I was excited for you. I had seen that boat ad and had been drooling over it but it was bigger than my wallet. I would be happy to ship that light to you. I will try to find out about the best way. I have both a post office and a UPS storefront right near me. What do you think works best on your end? There is a West Marine store near me in Sarasota, Florida that is one of their flagship stores. There is only a few in the country. They have most everything. Lots of lighting. I will get back with what I learn about shipping to the land of the Fierce Taipan.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm in on the shipping as well!!! Be happy to help. I'm going by my dealer in Charleston today also and I'll check their price on it. The last time I looked at the Lumitec that West Marine sold, it wasn't capable to power the spreaders and the dome like the GW Lumitec can do. May be a special build from Lumitec.

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I don’t see which GW model or year boat you have, but on my 2014 251 CE the dome light is not typical Lumitec stock. I had the dome light fail and because on my boat the dome light also controls the aft spreader light, I had to order a “warranty replacement” directly from Lumitec. Just a heads up, in case you’d like to plea your case for warranty coverage and avoid your local GW dealer.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Wow ,
I'm overwhelmed by the offers to help! You guys are amazing, a big thank you Halfhitch, KY and ilmmct for your generous offers volunteering your time as I'm sure you are all busy.

Halfhitch , Yea that was the boat in Saint James City 3 years ago ( my second GW 228) and I bought her unseen. The boat was and still is in excellent condition. I knew the trailer was a bit on the light side, she was 7000 lb, but short draw bar and 14" wheels. I swapped it with my old trailer I had custom made in FLA in 2012. Other than adding stuff to the boat and routine service I haven't done anything else but fish and wash it.

ilmmct, The boat is 2013 so almost 10 years old, the light failed due to moisture getting in when washing the boat. When I fit the new one I will use some silicone to seal it on the bulkhead to prevent water from getting in .
As you can see it has the third wire that controls the spreader lights, the lights come in two colours, blue/white and red/white , mine is red/white. I can buy the light with 2 wires, readily available even at Amazon for about $100 but very hard to find the 3 wire . On advice by Lumitec I contacted West but they couldn't help me.

John, I was told by Lumitec that West Marine can order it from them but the couple stores in FLA I called they weren't interested.

As I don't want you guys to do any run around I will do that and if I can't find someone to ship it direct I will kindly accept one of you guys offer.

Thanks again for your generosity and if there is anything I can do for you in Sydney, all you have to do is ask.
1643492334626.jpeg
1643492367907.jpeg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
ilmmct ,
As you suggested I contacted Lumitec yesterday. They offered me a replacement free of charge, I offered to pay for shipping but they said they will cover that as well. They normally want the item send back to them but due to shipping cost they asked me to cut the wires flash and send them a photo.
I want to thank you guys for offering to help me source a light .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Fantastic customer service from Lumitec. Glad it's working out for you.

Fishtales

Reaction score
They are a super firm. I have the light bars under the gunnels and they are flawless after 5 years. I had cheaper ones and the leds starting failing after a couple of years. Expensive - yes, but great functionality and reliability.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My light is on the way , currently held up in Honolulu, I should have it this Thursday.
First of all, I would say the product is excellent and worked as it should for 8 years until some moisture got to it and the touch switch played up. I don't think anyone could complain as it is used in harsh conditions . I would have been happy to pay the $160 or so to buy a new one but I had problems sourcing one in AU. This a light that Lumitec make for GW only I believe, you can buy the same light but it won't have the extra wire for the spreader lights made by LUmitec as well.
I was surprised that Lumitec offered to replace it free, they even paid for shipping . To me that is SERVICE and I will for ever be happy to buy any of their products with confidence.
They are not cheap and I know you can buy cheap Chinese. I wouldn't buy anything Chinese if I can get similar product made elsewhere regardless of the extra cost.

Reactions: Halfhitch