Dome or Open radar?

SeaSaw

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking for tips and advice on radar. Should I go open or dome on my 366 which is on order? The range is dependent on height above water so I don't see what advantage an open radar would have on a hard top mounted CC. Does the power make a difference on resolution? And is HD much better? Thank you for any assistance you all may offer. :dance

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went with a Garmin HD dome because Grady had told me that they don't recomend the weight of an open array radar. I can still see birds with my set up. I had Raymarine open array on my previous 330 and i was happy, but i really like the picture of the Garmin much better.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Im still amazed GW says dont mount an open radar to their $10k+ hardtop. :huh

'05 300 Marlin w/F250's

Coconut330

Reaction score
Open Array usually will give a better picture. I have a Furuno NN3D 12KW/6Ft antena on top of my Grady. It handles it with no problem. Never heard of Grady saying not to use open array on their hardtops. Most of the boats in this area use open array to look for birds when Tuna fishing.
_G7C2532.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
Assuming your budget isn't a factor, the open array is the way to go and IMHO it looks right on a boat of your size.
A Dome is fine for near shore - weather and close tracking (bouys). The open array is best for offshore use as it will have better target defintion, resolution, range and be able to pick up birds much better than a dome. Open array radars generally have a longer arm, narrower beam and more power than their dome counterparts. If you want to go with a dome, consider a 6KW minimum power, the Raymarine I have is 24", 4KW - I wish I had a bit more power. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you go with!

Gary M

Reaction score
My Marlin came with a 4KW Raymarine dome....... not good for birds. Upgraded to a Navnet with 6kw and 4-foot array antenna. We mounted it right in front of the "hump" on the hardtop and found that right there, the hardtop material was a bit over an inch thick! We wisely used the largest, SS flat washers to spread the load and have never had a problem.

"Birds" over tuna off of Great Guana Cay, Abacos, Bahamas........ Sashimi for Happy Hour! :dance

Abaco2007017.jpg

SeaSaw

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the insight and help! I just completed my GW factory tour and it was a great experince. I asked Dave the senior GW engineer since 1976 about weight loads and there is no issue with mounting a 6' open array on thier boats. I questioned him again about the unit I am leaning toward, Simrad at about 80 lbs, and again he said there is no issue to be concerned with. I'll start another thread and post pics from the walk through.

ps Gary M I had the same Furuno on my 38 Rampage and after tuning, adjusting and timing the unit, could never get the radar resolution you have shown. Nice work.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Array is the way to go for serious boating and fishing for all the reasons listed. I have a Furuno Navnet (3.5', 4kw). My picture is like Gary M's unit. They key is proper setup and adjustment. Unfortunately the manual does not explain this well. I posted instructions awhile back. You may want to search for them. The difference in a well tuned radar is quite significant.

As to GW, they may have meant not to place the array in the center of the hardtop. The front is reinforced and handles large arrays with no problem.