Don't laugh, but I want to go crappie fishing with my 376 Canyon

jsgoris

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 376
Hello Grady fans
I bought a 376 Canyon last year and had it hauled to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I know, bit of an over kill, but I saw the boat in N. Carolina and pulled the trigger. You wouldn't believe the amount of comments I am getting, and all good, everyone loves the look and the lake does have a lot of rough water, but it just goes right through it.

I see some comments about trolling, and with the triple 350 Yamaha motors with just running one engine I am going about 2.8 mph at idle. With trolling for crappie I need to get down to 1.5 mph. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Was thinking of throwing out a drift anchor or two to slow it down. There isn't room for a kicker motor on the stern.

Thoughts?????

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
We slow troll with twin f150's. With 1 engine on in flat water I'm around 2.6 mph. If I tuck the engine in all the way and run the tabs all the way down it brings me down to 2.0-2.2. If I put the off engine into gear (so the prop doesn't spin) I can drop another 0.1-0.2 mph.
I'm not sure if you can shut off digital engines in gear, but it would help to leave both in gear to stop the props.
I've also tried trimming the engine up high to let the prop ventilate, but it was a more noisy than tucking it in.
On our other boat we did use drift bags, but it was a PIA. If you use them make sure you have a reminder to not throttle up till they are in.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have twin 150’s and troll with one (rotate every trip). Depending on wind/waves I use a sea bag from Amish Outfitters (by far best quality) - http://amishoutfitters.com/descriptions.htm - some people use two but I get down to 1.2mph when needed. Have used for over five years and still looks new.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
May be a very stupid comment from someone who's only ever owned single screw boats, but could one do something like outer engines in forward/ middle engine in reverse? Would the extended time in reverse working against the other two engines be damaging?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Probably not.
16 cylinders firing to go forward and another 8 in reverse to go slower. Only in America! :D
Does your boat have a generator? If so, go electric.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Buy the smallest diameter and smallest pitch prop you can find for one of your motors and just switch props on the center motor when you want to troll for the day. It's a 10 minute job. You can still make decent speed to travel to your fishing area with the other two pushing.

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
I just want to see a picture with the outriggers deployed and a fish on!

Reactions: Halfhitch

jsgoris

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 376
We slow troll with twin f150's. With 1 engine on in flat water I'm around 2.6 mph. If I tuck the engine in all the way and run the tabs all the way down it brings me down to 2.0-2.2. If I put the off engine into gear (so the prop doesn't spin) I can drop another 0.1-0.2 mph.
I'm not sure if you can shut off digital engines in gear, but it would help to leave both in gear to stop the props.
I've also tried trimming the engine up high to let the prop ventilate, but it was a more noisy than tucking it in.
On our other boat we did use drift bags, but it was a PIA. If you use them make sure you have a reminder to not throttle up till they are in.

jsgoris

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 376
Thanks Family affair
All good ideas. There are a few crappie tournaments coming up in a couple weeks. I will try your suggestions. I did lower the tabs but not much luck there.

I forgot you idea of trying to shut down the two outside engines while I gear. Maybe that will work

more to come

jsgoris

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 376
Probably not.
16 cylinders firing to go forward and another 8 in reverse to go slower. Only in America! :D
Does your boat have a generator? If so, go electric.
May be a very stupid comment from someone who's only ever owned single screw boats, but could one do something like outer engines in forward/ middle engine in reverse? Would the extended time in reverse working against the other two engines be damaging?
I like the thought process but with digital controls I don’t believe that would be possible. Only have two throttle controls. If you put one forward and one reverse the computer just make the middle engine stay in neutral

thanks

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You could also bump troll. Not necessarily the best or easiest but it will work. in and out of gear. Bump it in gear, bump in neutral.

troll bag, a few 5 gallons buckets tied off. or a trolling plate over the prop.

My single Yahama 250 at idle runs about 2.5-2.8 mph.