Don't use brass seacocks ?

Sea Hunter

Reaction score
Purchased an old Silverton as a cocktail boat last week and I replaced the old gate valves on my engine water intakes with brass/stainless ball valves. Just got back from having my boat surveyed and the surveyor tells me I should never use brass valves because they contain zinc and they will corrode just like a zinc anode and fail. This is the first I've heard of this. I have used brass valves before and never had a problem, but I suppose I could have been lucky. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks, Al

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Al,
What your saying may make sense. According to my dictionary brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. So given a stray current etc the least noble metal would be eaten away by electrolysis.
That's a great signature quote but it's spelled "dying".

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bronze is what you want to use. Keep the brass valves in your house. SS may be OK but the cheaper grades just stain less and your thruhull is probably bronze and don't mix metals if you don't have to.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Grog said:
Bronze is what you want to use. Keep the brass valves in your house. SS may be OK but the cheaper grades just stain less and your thruhull is probably bronze and don't mix metals if you don't have to.
I agree with Grog. Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin so you shouldn't have the same problem. Good luck with your replacements.

Elvio

Reaction score
Comments are nothing but true. Furthermore do NOT use neither brass nor bronze close to your engine block if it is aluminum casting. Things will get even worse. Just think that car manufacturers now specify zinc-free (some stabilizers do contain zinc) rubber hoses for their both their HVAC as well as fuel (bcz of ethanol) system lines.