Downrigger auto stop concerns

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Mounted Cannon Magnum 10STX’s on Gulfstream 232 and love everything but one thing - the auto stop causes way too much bouncing on the rigger arm and ball when reaching the surface. Thought of adding an eighteen inch section of wire from the plastic line stop to the ball to retain the ball well in the water and possibly lesson the bounce on the equipment and gunnels. Anyone have similar concerns or solutions?

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I run Big Jon riggers on my 232, make sure you installed backing plates when you mounted your riggers. You should also consider using a rubber snubber between the cable and the ball to act as a shock absorber, that will lessen the bounce.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pfu,

I run Cannon TS Digi-Trolls, you need a Cannon insulator between the stainless Cannon snap swivel and the black snap swivel in my picture.

I use 10lb. balls and no problem with the arm bounce at the stop. What Ted said can also work.

My Setup:

20210904_191306.jpg

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have the setup described but use 15# balls to get deep in Lake Champlain which I believe is part of the problem On the high speed return. I ordered some 15” snubbers this morning and will see how they react. Thanks for the comments!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Let us know how that works out for you. I believe you also have the water zero setting on the downriggers? It lets you set your ball at the top of the water, and I have to re adjust the stop every so often. You can stop your 15lb balls 2 feet below the surface, then bring them up using the control on the downrigger and that might work too, reducing the energy as they exit the water.

Just thinking out loud LOL.

BTW, how does your 232 handle~happy with the ride?

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Love the boat! Always wanted this model and downsized from a cabin cruiser to a true fishing boat. Has twin 150’s with 1200 hours (2 cycle) but do expect to replace at some point. Lake Champlain waves can get large with closer crest to crest than the ocean so crossing needs to be done on 45’s or it will rock big time.

Love the new riggers for speed up/down compared to old riggers on previous boat. Much quicker to stack and get back to the fish. Typically run four lines on two riggers and at times run dipseys on the side. Interested to see if the outriggers that came with boat could be used to get out further. Have side mounts and they look new.

Nearly done with electrical connection replacements with horn one of the last items. Next on the agenda is to fix the zippers and two plastic panes on the external tarps. Most likely will do over the winter.

Reactions: leeccoll