Downrigger for Gulfstream

Finatic

Reaction score
Thinking about adding a downrigger to my Gulfstream this year and I've been looking at the Penn Fathom Masters. I'd like to use the rod holder mounts as opposed to adding a fixed mount base to the gunnels. If I use the rod holder mounts, do I need to add a backer plate or anything else to reinforce the rod holder? Also, should I get a 2 or 4 foot boom? I'm thinking about the 4 foot boom in order to clear the outboard bracket. The majority of my trolling is offshore out of Ocean City. I appreciate any advice.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Downriggers

I use the rold holder mount on my Marlin without backing and have not had any problems. Maybe I've been lucky, it will be intereting to see what others say. I have the 4 foot boom and it works well.

Good luck!

Ed

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Cannon downrigger with the swivel mount on my Seafarer. There is no backing plate and I haven't had any problems.

I have also used the Penn downriggers in the rod holder mount a few times without any issues.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Downriggers

If you are looking to buy used i have 2 Penn Fathom masters, 4 footers with Rod holder mounts and weights if intertesetd. They are in great shape, i have no need for them in NY. All you need to buy is the mounting plates or swivel mounts. I will seperate if you only want one.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Finatic: If you're using the typical lead ball, then rod holder mount is okay, in my experience. However, if you're using a planer, like a Z-Wing, then I'd recommend direct mounting. Not sure you need to have a backing plate, but I've just used oversized washers with no problem.

I do use a Z-Wing and for that reason I prefer the two-foot boom (less leverage) mounted on the gunnel near the transom.

Rob

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have oversized washers for all my gunnel mounted rod holders as well as my downrigger mount. There's a lot of plywood and fiberglass in the GW gunnels. You should be OK.

Finatic

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably add some oversize fender washers to better distribute the weight and stress.

3rd day- I figured the longer boom (4') would be necessary to clear the transom motor bracket.

Lanie- sending you a PM regarding the downriggers.

reel_time

Reaction score
Strikezone said:
I have oversized washers for all my gunnel mounted rod holders as well as my downrigger mount. There's a lot of plywood and fiberglass in the GW gunnels. You should be OK.
Yeah, you MIGHT be ok. Why in world would you not just install the backing plate?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
There will be significant torque stress on a rod holder even with backing plates simply due to design. The holder mount will exert a lot of leverage on the holder, plus holders are oriented longitudinally, and have significantly less strength laterally . The gulfstream fishing I've done involved heavier tackle, heavier rigger weights, and higher speeds, all of which increase stress and strain on the holder and mount. I saw significant torque movement with mine at 2 kts and an 8# weight set at 40' merely due to boat wave movements. I went to a permanent swivel mount and haven't looked back ... :?

bc282

Reaction score
depends on how you use your downriggers IMO.
if you use Z-wings or heavy balls (10+ pounds), or fish consistently deep (over 100'), i'd definitely recommend a direct gunnel mount over using a rod holder mount.

i'm running my 60" boom Scottys with 15# balls down to as deep as 300 feet trolled at 3mph with no issues (direct mount, big fender washers).

the length of the arm is not a big issue until you have to turn. generally the longer the arm allow for tighter turns.