Downrigger for Gulfstream

Finatic

Reaction score
I'm thinking about purchasing a downrigger for my 2000 Gulfstream. I've been looking at the Penn 600 which seems like it can handle the job when fishing offshore. I have 2 questions, first with the Gulfstream having the full transom with bracket will I need to go with the 48" boom or can I get away with 24" boom? Second, I plan to get it with the rod holder mount, do you think I should add a backer plate under the gunnel rod holder? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm Yes, to both. Be advised, there will be significant transverse torque on the rod holder with anything but the lightest ball ...

Fishtales

Reaction score
They have some really nice mounts out there. I have a couple of Scotty Strong Arm manual downriggers 30" with a pedistal style mount.
If the rod holder is off the transom, the pressure will be on the mount, so you might get away with a rod holder mount. If off the gunnel, the pressure will be on the pin in the rod holder. I'd say that will weaken and eventually snap, so a better mount is needed.

Might be good to check into the pedistal swivel mounts like these below. They through bolt with 4 bolts (use a backing plate) right thru the gunnel (make sure you have backside access). Use SS hardware, 4200 and nuts with nylon locks.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equi ... /index.htm

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
I have a Penn 625 downrigger with swivel base on my GW Gulfstream (full transom/bracket) and went with the 48" boom. I don't use the rod holder on the downrigger, as I found it easier to use with the rod holder in the gunnel (with safety lanyard). Absolutely use a backing plate with or without the attached rod holder; I used some plate aluminum that I got from a metal dealer.