Downrigger Tuna Tactics

Kenlahr

Reaction score
There are a few offshore setups that just have to go out every trip. They don't always produce but they have saved many slow days. Often they are the only lines hit. What are they? The deep line and the WAY WAY Back lines. This thread is dedicated to the deep lines. There are lots of ways to get your lines deep, and here is the place to post them. We'll post our go-to deep rig, but its by no means the only way to get a line deep.
-
We use a set of Penn downriggers with the 48 inch boom. They sit in the aft rod holders on a 360 degree swivel base. They can be easily reeled up, pulled and moved forward when we need to clear the gunnal.
-
The reason we use the downrigger, is depth control. When on the hunt, trolling at 5 to 7 kts, we have about 25 feet out, keeping our lures down around 8 feet. While this works just fine and had often produced Tuna & Mahi along with teasing in a white here an there, its not where the downrigger shines.
-
The downrigger earns its money when you mark those stubborn tuna down deep and just cannot get them to come up! How many times have you been there! If you can't get them to come to you then you have to go to them. My team has produced a hooked Sport Dredge (Six arm 12" diameter). The small diameter produces, less drag as compared to the big 36" dredges. We also have no trouble adding a stinger to it. We get it deep by using a 13# Ball and replacing the downrigger cable with 250# Power Pro Spectra.
When we mark those stubborn tuna down in the deep we don't endlessly troll over the marks hoping to bring them up, we spring to action:
> mark the plotter
> come around to hit the marks on the same course
> as we approach we slow the boat and lower the dredge on the downrigger
Using the fish finder in split screen with 200/50 kHz we are able to watch the downrigger descend, sometimes we can see it past 100 feet. The target is to get the dredge about 5 feet above the marks, before you get the boat back on top. If your timing is right, you drag the dredge right over them and draw a bite. This tactic has been so consistent, on our boat the downrigger is send deep on the second pass every time.
-
Often we slow the boat to less than 3 KTS, the trick is to get the dredge to the fish. If we pass over without a hit, we pull back to all stop for about 5 seconds and then kick it up to 3, then 4 then 5 kts. That sends the dredge even deeper, then when ya kick it up the dredge comes racing for the surface, action no tuna can ignore!
-
I am sure I left out a few things, but its a start. Here are a few shots from last year:

100_0031.JPG

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Giving Credit where its due

Captain Tom Lemaire
Of the Charter Boat “Sea Shell
Helped us refine and explore the tactics I discussed above. He also has helped us fine tune our deep rigs. Here was a nice BFT off his deep rig:
61X44.JPG

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm looking to invest in a downrigger or two. Until I find the funs I may use a z wing planer to get some lines a little deeper in the water colomn, I have run them before on boats and they seemed to work well. I have been checking your dredges out a bit lately, and may splurge and buy one to fish deep. Any color recommendations?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow those look nice, and now your really tempting me. I have 2 spreader bars that I need to sell off. I rigged them a while back and they have sea striker el cheapo squids and I have never used them and never will. They were for a friend who never ended up picking them up. If I sell them off I know where they are going....

I really like that daisy chain, surprised others have not thought of it.

I just told myself and my crew I am not buying any more tackle and now I see thses great offers...your killing me ken!!!

Kenlahr

Reaction score
:lol:
There are a few chains out there. The trouble has been how they are rigged to the main line. We took the trouble of making our own swivel. It took about a year to get it right. It was designed specifically for rigging our rubber Hoos, but it also works well rigging shads in a daisy chain.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
it's great to be reminded of simple but productive tactics Ken. Here in NQ Australia we use the downrigger to drag juvenile black marlin up into the spread. Often they are feeding on bait schools in 80-100 ft and they are not interested in our surface baits and teazers.
Last year I would guestimate 70% of our hits came on the downrigger first then as we brought that up to check it we would get hits on the surface lines.I am very interested in seeing some of those deepwater bars and dregdes and especially the way you rig your stingers.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Jekyl:
I will make sure I have some when I get out there. I will email you our schedule.