downriggers on a 282 Sailfish

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I'm interested in where everyone else has installed their downriggers on their 282 Sailfish. Including the receptacle plug. I'm thinking forward of the aft rod holders on both sides.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
That's where I would mount them. I have the 305 Express and I have four downriggers mounted. For my two rear mounts I have them behind the aft rod holders and the two front one's are in front of the forward rod mounts. The wood/glass there is over an inch thick but I would still use a backing plate.

I use Cannon downriggers and I chose to mount the receptacle under the gunnel. They hang down just enough for me to be able to easily hook and unhook when I need to take them off the boat.

Amigo

Reaction score
My concern was how far aft or forward to mount the rigger. I bought tracks for the gunnel and removed the aft rod holder mounting the track over that hole.

This allows for movement aft/forward to an area where it is comfortable for you. You can also mount rod holders in the track. If you take the rigger and rod holders off the boat, which is easy to do with tracks, you can then inset a rubber insert making it into a gunnel step. I also installed 4 inch swivel mounts which fit into the track.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... jsp.form1s.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I'm thinking a 3/4" piece of varnished plywood and 2.5" SS bolts will secure them nicely. I'm also considering caulking the edges of the bases and bolts so no water gets to sit around anywhere.

bc282

Reaction score
here in Pac NW, downriggers for salmon are a must.
Almost every boat i've owned, i've mounted downriggers (DRs) and every unique boat has its DRs mounted in it's own unique spot on the gunwale.
where you mount them is usually dictated by the kind of fishing you plan to do, where there's decent access to mount them, and in a location that is friendly to using the DRs.
on my 282, i've chosen to mount them about 6" in front of the rear rod holders, but this limits the boat's tight turning ability as even with 60" downrigger booms, i must be careful to not place my gear into the props--so, i just don't do tight tight turns.
you can mount the DRs either further forward (i've seen on some boats the DR's mounted almost amidship) or as far aft as possible to further reduce the issue of line and gear running into the props. If you choose to go closer to the forward gunwale rodholders then you may have the line rub on the aft chime of the boat during turns so you need to be running spectra/dyneema DR line and not SS cable as the SS would damage the boat.
i've posted a few pics of my 282 with DR's for your use. after a couple season, i'm very happy with the location i've chosen.
good luck.

P1010186%20resized.jpg

P1010172%20resized.jpg

P8240001%20resized.jpg

P7190150%20resized%202.jpg

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Nice setup bc. On my 305 I have two riggers mounted aft of aft rod holder and the other two are forward of the forward rod holders. I troll very deep with my forward one's and shallower with the back one's. Have never had any problems with the cable rubbing my bottom paint even in tight turns.

If I'm not mistaken looks like that dock pic is in Bamfield. Have you been fishing there yet this year???

Bio, I put some strips of stainless and large washer's on the backing plate side. The gunnel there is pretty thick. I've trolled with 15 lb weights with no problems using the setup mentioned.When mounting the base plates I put caulk around the holes I drilled and a strip around where the outer edge of the mount will be. Again no problems with water done this way.

Have fun with your new boat. I sure love the two Grady's that I've owned.

bc282

Reaction score
yup Hoghunter, you guessed right. The boat pictured is tied up in Bamfield at Crown Charter's dock where i usually stay while i'm in Bamfield. Most people don't make it into that part of the inlet so i'm very surprised you recognized the spot! I'll be back to fish Barkley sound in just a couple days! yeehaa! My friends have told me the weather has been ruff with what seems like a constant Gale force warning offshore this summer, but fishing has been good good.
Post a pic of your boat and setup, i'd love to see it.
Also, if you see my boat tied up at Crown (Butterfield's), stop by and say hello as it'll be cool to meet :mrgreen:

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Thanks folks. Went about 3" forward of the aft rod holders. Fortunately I didn't need to use them last week, as the tuna are here :) :)

Here's the first fish to ever hit the deck
firstfish.jpg

The last fish of the day
sumojr.jpg

And all 15
firsttunainthegrady.jpg

bc282

Reaction score
nice albies!
where were those caught and how far off the coast are they?
:goodjob

wdlfbio

Reaction score
45 miles SW of the Columbia River. The area is loaded right now, but you better have live biat or be good with iron. Buddies were out yesterday and put 20 and 23 on each boat.

SBLGFD

Reaction score
While not a 282 here are photos of my Big Jon's on my 272. Front one are gimbal mounted rear's are direct bolted thru with a aluminum backer plate. Rigger are the captains pack .

Chris

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 3,659