Drain on Bottom of 272 Sailfish

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This may be a really silly question but when I pulled my '98 Sailfish 272 out yesterday I noticed a giant stream of water pouring out the bottom of the hull.
Upon closer inspection I realized it was a drain of some type. It was located about mid ship in the center of the hull. Is this a 1 way scupper type drain that when exposed to air allows for draining out? If yes, what was the source of the water?

New to me boat that I took delivery on over Labor Day and just trying to learn as much as I can.

I found it odd and a bit jarring to see water pouring out of the bottom of the boat but the hole was perfectly round and had a bit of a raised flange around it so clearly it was designed that way for some purpose.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sounds like either the intake for washdown, or the live well. the lines will drain if you seacocks are open. if they were open you should probably close them when you are not using them. If you live well sea cock was open the water can be forced into live well and when you pull the boat the tank or lines are just draining.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree with Legend. If it is a circular brass fitting, it is an intake point for something.

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone....I have some reading to do in my boat manual for sure over the winter!
Glad to have found this site as well..lots of knowledge.

caj6893

Reaction score
Model
Chase
What kind of head do you have? Midship thru hulls below the water line are typically for the head discharge/intake.

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What kind of head do you have? Midship thru hulls below the water line are typically for the head discharge/intake.
Jabsco....the water smelled pretty rotten coming out of there. So perhaps I just had that seacock open.....I'll need to make sure I carefully read the book and ask questions before I drop her in the water for next year.

caj6893

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Jabsco....the water smelled pretty rotten coming out of there. So perhaps I just had that seacock open.....I'll need to make sure I carefully read the book and ask questions before I drop her in the water for next year.
Could be a problem and also illegal. The head should never discharge unless manually pumped out with the Y-valve and seacock open.

seasick

Reaction score
Just to be clear. Is the thru hull on the actual bottom or on the side of the hull and if so, is it below or above the water line? . If as mentioned it is the holding tank discharge, I don't see why a lot of liquid would be pouring out. The holding tank should only discharge when the pump is on.

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just to be clear. Is the thru hull on the actual bottom or on the side of the hull and if so, is it below or above the water line? . If as mentioned it is the holding tank discharge, I don't see why a lot of liquid would be pouring out. The holding tank should only discharge when the pump is on.
Below the waterline, on the bottom of the hull (not the side discharges)

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi GradyChris,

I have a '95 272, so will be happy to be a conversation partner if helpful.

It sounds to me like you've discovered an intake for one of the accessories. Yes, the manual should be helpful, and you should also track down which seacock (if one is installed) can lock that pipe shut.

Reactions: GradyChris

seasick

Reaction score
Let us know what that thru hull ends up being.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If it is just a round fitting and has no filter cage around it, it is most likely the head discharge. The two intakes for washdown and livewell would have oval fiiter or screen cages atorund them.