Drain Plug on Grady Bracket

Oh Kay II

Reaction score
Aluminum Grady Bracket on 1987 Offshore...The plug on the bottom of bracket..is it a drain plug?..can it be removed?...should it be removed to drain water from inside bracket?.... I believe my bracket is full of water....I haven't a clue as to how it would get in there..but I believe it's in there....should I bother with trying to get the plug out..If I succeed in taking it out , will I cause a bigger problem trying to get it back in??....don't want to strip anything.....I ave never tried to remove it, I mean really tried to remove it!...I have only owned the boat for 6 or 7 years now...don't know if its ever been removed...its a 1987 boat...What say you all?? Your help and expertise would be greatly appreciated.. :bang

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Oh Kay II, I figure help will come running for you on this one. I am not familiar with your bracket but I would imagine that if it is full of water, especially salt water, then it defintely needs draining. If it was my call and the drain plug would not remove and there was no other choice, I would find a likely looking low point on the bracket and drill a small hole just to see if water is in there. You can plug the small hole easily. If you are pretty mechanically inclined you will figure a way to remove that plug. 8)

Ken

Sully4755

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Seafarer 228G, And I removed the plug from bracket and water did drain out. The cover plate on top of my bracket was not sealed properly and I believe that is how the water got in. If you have bottom paint just scrape off paint from plug and remove plug.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
... just scrape off paint from plug and remove plug.

:uhm I'd have a back-up plan in case 1) the plug doesn't budge, or 2) the plug gets buggered in some way and still doesn't budge, or 3) the plug comes out along with the threads.

Water gets in from engine mounting holes, transom seal, and/or the access cover, and it is over 20 years old.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well the access plate on top can be used to see if there is any water in the bracket. You can check for sure that way and probably pump it out from there if you don't want to tackle the plug this year. I received a bunch of good advice from the people on this forum on the same subject and it was spot on. You can probably do a search and find the thread. However, mine was a later model Armstrong bracket with the plastic plug so I don't know if it would be exactly relevant to your problem. I'm sure that someone here will be able to help you. Good luck