Drain Replacement

gsarria

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2005 Grady White Marlin 300, and I need to replace the aft deck drains. I am not familiar with what exactly needs to be done to replace them, therefore I cannot do it myself. I am hoping some of you guys can recommend someone who could possibly work on this. My boat is currently stored in Key Biscayne. I look forward to hearing your recommendations. Thank you!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I assume you are talking about the (4) cockpit scuppers that are white plastic with a bar across them?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check out this link.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25296&hilit=scupper&start=15

Some of the earlier boats only have one per side, while others have two. I got the 90 degree elbows from the contact in the thread above (Jimmy).
They are white plastic 90 deg elbows with a lock nut on the back side. Once you have access to the drains (not easy on some boats) you should see a black hose and two clamps holding it to the elbow. Once you get the hose off (inspect these while there as they have been know to rot) remove the backside nut and then work the elbow out. The new should go it easily. Caulk it with GE Silicone caulking, install and tighten the backside nut, connect the hose and tighten the clamps.

Sounds easy, but will be a PIA with access. I'm going to do it myself this spring.

gsarria

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Hi,
I assume you are talking about the (4) cockpit scuppers that are white plastic with a bar across them?
Yes, those are the ones I’m talking about.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Timely thread. The big question that I can't seem to find an answer to is how do you access the scupper tubes under the deck. There are no access ports or direct access on the port side. On the starboard side it seems like it would take a contortionist to go to get to the fitting once you have the deck pulled up. Any suggestions on how to reach the tubes to replace the scuppers and if needed the drain hose to the outboard fitting. Is cutting a hole in the deck and creating an access port, like the pop out or scren in beckson plates the only way to do the job?

G243

Reaction score
el jefe said:
Timely thread. The big question that I can't seem to find an answer to is how do you access the scupper tubes under the deck. There are no access ports or direct access on the port side. On the starboard side it seems like it would take a contortionist to go to get to the fitting once you have the deck pulled up. Any suggestions on how to reach the tubes to replace the scuppers and if needed the drain hose to the outboard fitting. Is cutting a hole in the deck and creating an access port, like the pop out or scren in beckson plates the only way to do the job?

While I am not sure about the Marlin it looks like your transome is similar to my chase. I removed the trash can on the Port side and hung upside down to complete the work. You can cut an access hatch but I wouldn't if you can otherwise do the job.

I'm an old overweight guy so if I can do it most folks can too.

Good luck.