Drain tubes and transom trim

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I noticed that the white plastic trim that covers the vertical transom edges (facing the engine) on our 209 need to be resealed (caulk was literally falling out in spots). When I pulled the plastic trim off, I noticed that Grady used some sort of hard material to coat the edges where the transom meets the bulkhead (battery box/aft seats). I also removed the old transom mounted transducer, I plan on drilling these old mounting holes a little larger and filling them with epoxy. I poked the old screw holes and the areas that were covered with the plastic trim and noticed there appears to be no rot, the transom is solid as a rock. I'm looking for suggestions for what to bed the plastic trim with and what product (if anything) I should use to seal the exposed areas of the transom before I re-install the plastic trim. In other words, should I epoxy the exposed surfaces, let it cure and then caulk the back of the plastic trim and install same later on?

I also noticed that the brass motor-well drain tubes were cracked and needed to be replaced. I believe that on the newer 209 models (and most of the larger Grady Whites) that they do not use the typical thin wall brass drain tubes, but instead use plastic tubes with flaps or perhaps stainless. What do you guys suggest I use for the new drain tubes?

Finally, I don't think I am going to mess with the aluminum piece where the motor sits on the transom. It's still in pretty good shape, I think that will be next years project.

Thank you.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Regarding cockpit drain tubes, I would stay with the brass ones, as opposed to plastic. I would definitely replace any cracked or leaking ones asap, because they are a prime source of introducing water into the transom core. Upon removing old ones you will be able to determine condition of core area around tubes. I overdrilled, epoxied, and redrilled holes when replacing drain tubes on my previous Seafarer, before installing new tubes. Before installing new tubes, coated hole and tubes with 3M 5200, then flared them into place. There are also O-rings for both ends before flaring.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Vero, thank you for the advise. I've done the brass tubes in a few boats over the years, I hoped there is a better way - maybe I'm wrong.

With regard to your photo, (based on the screw holes) it looks like you had the typical Grady transom with plastic tubes and rubber flaps (like I do on my deck drains)? What made you choose the 'old fashioned' brass tubes instead?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The tubes I replaced on cockpit overboard drains were originally brass also. I know on the four 80s-90s Gradys I've owned, all had brass tubes in them. I would be nervous having plastic ones, but I guess if they are original equipment on some boats they may be ok. The boat in pics did have those flappers on outside, and I did reinstall them.